By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My experience

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
EbonyT

My experience

Post by EbonyT »

Hello All,

My name is Ebony and I had a pregnancy that ended as ectopic in August 2015, it would have been my first pregnancy with my husband and I was about 6 weeks at the time of surgery. I went in for an ultrasound and they could not find anything in my womb and told me that my left fallopian tube was swollen and that the pregnancy was ectopic, imagine my reaction. I had no symptoms other than some brown spotting and pain by the left pelvic area. I had my surgery on August 28th where the doctor removed the fetus which damaged my left fallopian tube because she said she had to cut some of the tube. After the pregnancy I bled for about 2 weeks and then my periods returned back to normal. The only difference since the surgery is I started noticing when I was about to ovulate which seems to always be on the right side now. Then, starting in March of 2016 and currently, whenever I would get my period I started experiencing excruciating pain on the left side which is the tube that was damage so much so I would have to call out from work and stay home in bed with a heating pad, tea and advil because the pain is so unbearable. Advil usually settles the pain for a few hours and then I have to take more (usually twice-three times a day during period). When I'm not on my period I am fine until ovulation time when I get the ovulation pain but that pain is bearable--I believe I am just now more aware of the pain. Has anyone else experienced this type of pain after ectopic pregnancy, should it be going on this long? I've had the surgery for over a year now surely, the pain should have subsided by now.

Aside from the pain, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year now with no luck and everyone around me seems to be having no problems with getting pregnant, some are on their 2nd or 3rd and didn't plan to get pregnant again. I am just praying and hoping for my blessing to come soon. I have been obsessing about it and it's becoming very depressing. Any advice would be appreciated!

EPT Host 20

Re: My experience

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ebony,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
Experiencing some pain after ectopic pregnancy is common however as you have experienced it for so long I would advise talking to your health care professional.
I think it may be worth keeping a pain diary to record when you feel the pain (including when in your cycle), its intensity on a scale of 1-10 and if anything helps such as rest, a hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. I would suggest keeping these notes for about 4/6 weeks and then seeing your doctors with this information as it would help them determine how best to manage your symptoms.

Regarding trying to conceive, it is generally possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy. The time it takes to conceive successfully after an ectopic pregnancy varies considerably from couple to couple. This can be affected by factors including age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have intercourse (sex). Unfortunately, we don’t have access to your and your partner's medical records to comment on these, but it is usually possible to conceive and, overall, 65% of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of an ectopic pregnancy. Some studies suggest this figure rises to around 85% over two years.

Doctors usually suggest a period of trying to conceive before suggesting any tests or investigations. The EPT advises that women under 35 should seek medical advice following 12 months trying to conceive (and those over 35 should seek advice after 6 months). This is because doctors would not want to introduce the risk of infection through invasive tests and also, as I mentioned above, the numbers are on our side when it comes to chances of successful pregnancies in the future.

In addition, we have a TTC board you can look at whenever you feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************