By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

The worst month of my life

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Nina Briston9

The worst month of my life

Post by Nina Briston9 »

2nd December 2016 - the day we found out we were expecting a beautiful child, the day the tests came back as 'pregnant'. Just a few hours later I started to bleed. Thinking the worst, I booked a doctors appointment for the monday morning and they sent me straight to my local Eaarly Pregnancy Assessment Unit (which i may add were the most lovely staff i have ever met). So off we went to the ultrasound room and hoped for the best.

I knew something was wrong when the lady scanning me was silent. I asked her whilst gripping onto my partners hand if she could see anything and she said no. I was roughly 5 weeks pregnant so the lady said it could be because it's too soon to see anything. So she then said she would do an internal scan to see if there was anything she could see this way.

The internal was done and again, nothing was found. No baby. In the 3 days we knew we were pregnant after trying for months we had everything planned, we had pictured our little family, maybe too soon but i think many people do it. Then that was it, nothing.

I was sent for blood tests and asked to come back every 48 hours until the levels had dropped. This was expected to be by the thursday. Surprise surprise me being the awkward person i am, my levels had only dropped by 9. 9!! They were supposed to be in the negative section by then!

I was told that if i got any pain at all to return to A&E as i had a 'Pregnancy of an unknown location' which could have been ectopic. On the 9th December i was admitted to hospital with severe abdominal pain. Discharged on the 10th with painkillers and i thought i was ok.

We kept going back to the hopsital every 48 hours for more blood tests and my levels were dropping but by about 8 or 9 at a time, nothing more which the nurses were concerned about.

23rd December i had the methotrexate injection as they found a mass on my right side measuring 3cm by 2cm by 2.5cm. They were now really concerned.

I was in excruciating pain and could barely breath i was in that much pain. I was admitted and got discharged christmas eve.

Christmas Day i had an ambulance outside my house at 8 am as i was throwing up, passing out and screaming in pain. My poor partner didnt know what to do!

Got my pain under control and had more internal scans confirming i had internal bleeding but they werent concerned by it (i was terrified when they mentioned internal bleeding). I was then discharged on Boxing day and went home to try and enjoy what was left of Christmas!

We kept going back for routine blood tests and then my levels started to rise again, the doctors called me on the 30th december to go in for emergency surgery as they estimated my internal bleeding to be about 160ml! At this point i was an emotional wreck, how could they not have found this 2 weeks ago?!

So i underwent a laparoscopy which then was a salpingectomy (removal of one of both the fallopian tubes) and was discharged new years day in pain with no painkillers and no further apointments and no answers to my questions, i was terrified.

I still don't know if i had the ovary removed with the tube, i don't know if it will now take double the time to get pregnant as i only have 1 tube. I have so many questions!

Sorry it's so long I just needed to write it all down, i feel relief after writing everything down!

Nina x

EPT Host 22

Re: The worst month of my life

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Nina,

I’m so absolutely sorry all that you’ve had to endure through your ectopic pregnancy and loss. It is very common to have many questions and emotions following this trauma and surgery and I will do my best to help.

Firstly, it’s incredibly important to look after yourself during this time. You have undergone a large amount both physically and emotionally. I’m so sorry that your care wasn’t as definitive and expedient as it may have been. That can add an additional level of worry to an already difficult situation.

In regards to your physical recovery, it will be important to discuss your surgery with either by requesting a follow-up at the hospital or with your GP to better understand what was done and to monitor your healing. Our website can provide guidance on what to expect following an ectopic pregnancy may help you to formulate questions to ask your GP.

In terms of your care circumstances, you may be aware that you can raise your thoughts via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service or PALS. You can find your local PALS here and it may be an avenue which can help:
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patien ... Search/363

There is no time frame for emotional recovery and every woman experiences it different. However, these boards are a safe space full of women with similar situations. Please feel free to visit with your questions, concerns, or to vent. We are here for you as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

***********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
***********************************************************************************************