By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Help needed. Morning after pill

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Kayleigh94

Help needed. Morning after pill

Post by Kayleigh94 »

Hello there,

so I had an operation last week Thursday, they removed my right tube due to an ectopic pregnancy of 5 weeks. We never used contraceptive as the reverse gear worked for 2 years thus far. We found ourselves deciding condoms were the new way to go. But first moment of lust and seems we forgot our plan of action. I am super paranoid about how fertile I am at the moment and this method landed me pregnant in the first place. What does anyone suggest I do? Should I rush in the morning and grab a Morning after pill? Im worried this may cause an ectopic pregnancy aswell? I have bled after the surgery for my normal 3 day period kind of thing, this ended 2 days ago? Please help...

EPT Host 22

Re: Help needed. Morning after pill

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Kayleigh94,

I’m very sorry to hear of all that you’ve been through. Suffering an ectopic pregnancy is a physical and emotional trauma and can leave us with many questions. I will do my very best to help.

Your surgery was so recent and it’s very important to look after yourself. It is likely you have been advised to wait for three months or two full menstrual cycles (periods), whichever is the soonest, before trying to conceive. Physically, this timeframe is to allow your cycle to return and for there to be a clear Last Menstrual Period (LMP) date to be able to date a new pregnancy from. The LMP date is what is used to decide when to scan a pregnancy; information that is invaluable in ensuring you are not suffering from another ectopic pregnancy. The bleed that occurs in the first week or so of treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is not your first period. It is the bleed that occurs in response to falling hormones associated with the lost pregnancy.

Bleeding is common after surgery. The time a woman bleeds varies and is hormonally controlled. As we are all individuals this can be up to six weeks of spotting/bleeding. Provided you are not soaking more than a pad an hour, then please try not to worry. If you are soaking more than a pad an hour, or If pain relief doesn't help, you should get medical attention straight away.

It’s important to remember that there is nothing you did to cause the ectopic pregnancy. The use or non-use of condoms as contraceptives will not cause an ectopic pregnancy. While, the chance of a subsequent ectopic pregnancy after a first is around 10 per cent. Again, looking at this another way, there is a 90 per cent chance of the embryo implanting in the uterus with a future pregnancy. As we have limited access to your medical information, I am afraid it is difficult to suggest what the right course of action is in your personal circumstances. We would therefore recommend you speak to healthcare professionals to discuss whether you need to take the morning after pill.

I hope this information alleviates some of your concern, and I would encourage you to continue to take good care and look after yourself.

Cheers,

Michele

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************