By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

How do you get back to a healthy routine during/after this?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
espoir

How do you get back to a healthy routine during/after this?

Post by espoir »

How do/did you get back to normal - in terms of looking after your body - after this? Did you manage to exercise at all before your beta levels dropped to nothing?

I'm still going through my treatment (methotrexate, day 28). Physically, mentally, and emotionally, I'm struggling.

I work from home but with the advised restrictions on physical activity, am struggling to stay positive. My weight is piling on from inactivity which isn't helping how I feel, and the emotional consequences of going through the ectopic are starting to hit home.

This was my first pregnancy, and a long awaited child, who we wanted very much. To deal with losing the baby, my own mortality, and the long term consequences on recovery and future fertility... I don't know where to start.

Mostly, I want to exercise, but dare not. I'm in constant pain, which is getting more persistent, sited around the ectopic's location, and I'm dizzy and nauseous constantly. Bleeding on and off. I'm terrified of doing anything. (I wish my body came with an instruction manual right now, I must admit. It's hard to understand what's going on in there)

I want to eat healthy to rebuild my body, but dare not (because everything seems enriched with folate, and my levels fall faster when I stick to rubbish foods!). I feel like my body is being ruined, and I don't even have a baby to show for it! :(

I want to recover. I want to feel better. I want to feel strong, fit, and attractive again. I want to be able to see my friends without bursting into tears - if I even want to leave the house in the first place. I want to have some energy again. I hate that this has no timescale on it.

Advice gratefully appreciated, thank you. It would be wonderful to hear if you found a way to look after your health in a way that complimented the methotrexate treatment.

For context:
Ectopic confirmed/Methotrexate administered Fri 7th April - levels 1672
Day 4 - 1643
Day 7 - 1477
Day 9 - 983
Day 16 - 461
Day 23 - 199 (Sunday 30 April)
Day 28 - today (Friday). Get my levels done again on Sunday.

EPT Host 22

Re: How do you get back to a healthy routine during/after th

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Espoir,

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all of this and understand how the length in waiting can be so very difficult. Suffering an ectopic pregnancy is a physical and emotional trauma, and recovery is so very individual. I can empathize with so much of what you express, in wanting to get back to the normalcy of things and of your own body.

As your hcg levels are still dropping, it's still incredibly important to look after yourself as sadly rupture is still possible until non-pregnant levels are reached (which are below 5mIU/ml). I know that the length of time that you've been waiting for the levels to drop can seem like an eternity. Guidance from our website offers that you you should not resume exercise until your hCG is at non-pregnant level if being treated with methotrexate. Although exercise, like swimming, is usually safe as long as your hCG levels are low, as this is a non-impact sport. However, it's always best to consult with your GP before beginning exercise again. http://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/your ... pregnancy/

Being kind to yourself and allowing your body time to heal is so very important right now. Recovery from an ectopic pregnancy can take some time and is very individual. As much as I wish I could give you more certainty, as we are so unique, I am afraid there isn't a timeframe as such. What I can say is that as the days and weeks pass, you will begin to feel more like yourself again and although the journey may be a bit of a shaky one - some days will be ok, some not so ok - please do be kind to yourself and allow yourself all the time and space that you need to heal.

We are here for you as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************

espoir

Re: How do you get back to a healthy routine during/after th

Post by espoir »

Thank you so much for your reply :)

By some miracle, my levels dropped 85% this week to only 30!! I am within touching distance of that magic '5' or less result, which has lifted my mood and hopes greatly. If it continues falling at that rate, I'll be under 5 by the end of today which is amazing... though I have to wait til Sunday for my next (last!?) blood test. I can't wait to get back to normal. Just a few more days of holding off and being careful left, I hope.

Thank you x