By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Period after expectantly managed ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Georgina14

Period after expectantly managed ectopic pregnancy

Post by Georgina14 »

Hi guys,

I’ve been through a lot with my ectopic but luckily I managed to avoid the MTX shot & surgery. I was expectantly managed till my HCG got to 0 (took 2 months). They said it’s probably resolved itself.

Now I’ve been waiting for my period. I seem to find information about periods for women who have had the MTX shot and surgery, but is there any advice for the ladies who haven’t had either? It’s been 4 weeks post levels reaching 0. I just want life to get back to normal.

Thanks for reading xx

Lily123

Re: Period after expectantly managed ectopic pregnancy

Post by Lily123 »

Hi there, I had my ectopic managed expectantly too, my period to 9 weeks after my levels reached zero! I thought it was never going to arrive, I have also just found out I’m pregnant after that cycle, waiting on scan to check all’s in the right place, hope u get back to normal soon xx lily

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

9 weeks is such a long time, so I guess I still might have some waiting to do! I guess it varies from woman to woman.
At my last appointment the mass was still in my tube but they said they were hoping when I had my next bleed it would be clearing itself. I have a follow up appointment in March I really do hope I’ve had a period by then.

Where they really painful and heavy? Did they last for a long time?

Congratulations, that’s really amazing. I really do hope it all goes well! xx

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

Thanks for replying @lily123

Lily123

Post by Lily123 »

I kno I was going out of my mind waiting thinking something was wrong, my mass was still there 1 month after levels went to zero, at 1.6mm, but at follow up scan 10 weeks after it was gone! No my period just lasted a few days and wasn’t any worse than normal! I was so glad to see it!! Xxx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Georgina14,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It can take up to ten weeks for your period to arrive and you could speak to your Dr if it hasn't arrived after this time.
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention

I thought I'd mention that before having a period you have to ovulate and it is possible to become pregnant without having a proper period first, if you are not using contraception. We and many doctors advise waiting at least two menstrual cycles before trying to conceive to allow time for your body to heal and emotions to surface.

It is generally possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy. The time it takes to conceive successfully after an ectopic pregnancy varies considerably from couple to couple. This can be affected by factors including age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have intercourse (sex). Overall, 65% of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of an ectopic pregnancy. Some studies suggest this figure rises to around 85% over two years.

Sadly, it is not possible to stop an ectopic pregnancy from happening. Importantly, help is available with future pregnancies with an early scan at around six weeks gestation to check that the embryo is in the right place. We are here too for emotional support, as and when you need us.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Superunknown

Post by Superunknown »

I am sorry for your loss. I found that I bled for about 4 weeks with the expectently managing and then had about 2 weeks clear and then had a period.

marmoannie

Post by marmoannie »

My period came two weeks after my levels reached zero but the mass took longer to dissolve, I say about six months. Everyone's different I suppose.

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

Thankyou for the replies ladies xx

Oh wow, so it really does vary. Can you get pregnant with the mass still in the Fallopian tube? Did you guys feel anything weird like, did you feel it dissolve out? I really can’t wait for this chapter of my life to be over. Until I get my period and a scan confirms it has dissolved , I don’t think I’ll be at peace :cry:

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

I want to use contraception for a while, until my body gets back to normal and heals. What methods are you ladies using?

marmoannie

Post by marmoannie »

My Gyno gave me the go ahead to TTC but it was still there in Nov and I conceived in Dec. When I went for my six week scan they couldn't see the mass from the ectopic so I feel like my body was waiting until that was over. Sounds crazy I know. Now 14 weeks so there is hope.
I found it very hard to deal with the mass being there for so long. It was like I had no closure. It's such a mentally draining experience for anyone.

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

Congratulations, such a nice ending. :D

I can’t help but get paranoid that I’m pregnant again because I haven’t bled. I’m scared to do a Pregnancy test. I’m soo much more aware of my body. I need to get my emotions in check before anything. It’s not healthy living like this. No one ever prepares you for how much this whole experience will affect you. I have a check up appointment coming up with the gyno. I don’t know how I feel about going to that department again. So many sad memories there.