By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Methotrexate last week - pain & bleeding

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Dawills

Methotrexate last week - pain & bleeding

Post by Dawills »

Hello all

So last week I got my methotrexate shot, and had my 7 day bloods yesterday which showed a 30% drop. The whole time having this ectopic pregnancy I've not had much pain, and only slight bleeding (the bleeding brought me into the EPU where they figured stuff out).

Anyways, today was completely different. I was bleeding loads (not a pad an hour but definitely lots more than I have been so far) and I had some blinding pain in my stomach and lower back. Felt very much like the worst period cramps I've ever had, paracetamol wasn't really doing much. I'm feeling better at the moment, still not great but pain instead of an 8/9 is more of a 3.

What I'm wondering is this my body (for lack of a better word) expelling the pregnancy? Has anyone else had experience of this?

I tried to reach my EPU on the phone today as I'm out of town and was told there was no one to pick up the phone or chat to me (weird) so I'm left in the dark here.

Thanks in advance for helping/sharing.

tryagain92

Re: Methotrexate last week - pain & bleeding

Post by tryagain92 »

Some pain is very common with methotrexate (google Separation pain). It’s a very, strong and powerful drug and bleeding is common. It’s reassuring that you are not heavily soaking a pad every hour.

However(!!!) if your pain is excruciating or beyond unbearable, or any aches and pains that doesn’t seem right/pain relief will not nip it in the bud, then EPU is not the place to go to, you’d need to get straight to A&E.

EPT Host 22

Re: Methotrexate last week - pain & bleeding

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Dawillis,

I just wanted to check-in on you today. As TryAgain92 mentioned, as you are not yet to non-pregnancy hcg levels, it's essential to continue monitoring your symptoms as there is still a risk of rupture. With any increased pain, especially radiating to the shoulder tip, you will want to be seen at your nearest A&E. I hope that the pain has calmed down.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team