By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Fertility-tales

Re: Coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy

Post by Fertility-tales »

Hi LittleP27

I’m so sorry to hear your fertility appointment has been postponed, that must be so frustrating. I heard they’re starting to work through the backlog of routine appointments now so hopefully it won’t be too much longer for you.

I didn’t have any assessments or treatments after the ectopics, but my first two pregnancies took a while to conceive and we went through infertility tests then. Everything came back normal. I had a HSG dye test where they look at the Fallopian tubes (if you’re going through the NHS I think that’s one of the first tests the consultant orders). But mine came back normal. A surgeon also told me I have stage 2 endometriosis though and that’s probably why I had the ectopics.

That sounds really sensible about IVF, we thought the same that we’d consider it if we had a third ectopic and they removed my remaining tube. I don’t know if they would almost always remove the remaining tube if I had a third? Did they say anything to you about that?

FT x

LittleP27

Post by LittleP27 »

Hi Sanwars2206

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through this. Its something no one deserves to go through :( I know exactly how you feel. Before I had my first ectopic we tried for so long and seeing two lines was the happiest moment of my life. finding out it was ectopic was the most upsetting thing I had to go through and going through it twice... I can't even explain the pain. I only recently started thinking about giving another go. I have days when I think I won't be able to take anymore pain but the when I am at work and I see cute babies /kids I am like... there's nothing more I want than to have one of my own. At the moment I am going through mix emotions and I will definitely need a little bit more time before we start trying again just to make sure I am a little bit more stronger mentally for whatever life throws at me. Reading successful stories here and on other websites helps me be more positive. Makes me optimistic that after all that pain there's still possibility for healthy pregnancy. I hope one day we are strong enough to try again x

LittleP27

Post by LittleP27 »

Dear fertility tales

Sorry for late reply. That's great to know they started to work through backlog of routine appointments, however I don't know what to think about it anymore. Recently went to see a doctor due to pains I been having on the side where I have my remaining tube. I asked him about infertility clinic and he said that he doesn't see a point of me going there as there's no test they will be able to do, as I have no problems getting pregnant, but he said if I am considering ivf that's something they will be able to help with. Don't know what to think about it any more...

That's like me I also have endometriosis what a horrible thing to have... Did you do anything different after your eps like new diet that helped you get pregnant?

Sorry they didn't. I have asked my doctor about it but he didn't know the answer I am waiting to have a scan at hospital, I will check with them and let you know :) xx

LittleP27

Post by LittleP27 »

Fertility-tales

Hi. Not sure if you already have an answer to your question : 'I don’t know if they would almost always remove the remaining tube if I had a third?' but I was advised by one of the gynecologist that this will be always your decision and if its discovered early there's better chance you won't need a surgery so they can save your tube x

Desperate4Rainbow

Post by Desperate4Rainbow »

Hi all,
I am new here and thought I would reach out. I am a mother of 1 who's about to turn 17 this month though I have wanted more children due to reasons out of my control it was not until my 35th birthday (sept.8th) I finally got that positive test sadly at 5 weeks 2 days I lost my little one and started treatment with methotrexate though not in my tubes just outside of my right overy I was and still am devastated I wanted this so badly for so long only for it to be ripped from me in the most devastating way I just recieved my 2nd dose of methotrexate yesterday and want nothing more than to try again asap and everyone keeps telling me I need to wait 3 months and its killing me anyone with any advise to help me get through this would be greatly appreciated I am terrified of a repeat or my body just not allowing me my precious rainbow

Thank you in advance
Desperate4Rainbow

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Desperate4Rainbow.
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

It is normal to feel anxious about the future. We generally feel a mix of emotions from wanting to try again to being petrified of what may lie ahead. We never forget, but we learn to accept what happened. It is a slow process that might be weeks or months ahead.
In time, we can get to a place where we feel comfortable trying again. When this is, is individual for each person. There is no timeframe for recovery, take each day as it comes.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly, help is available if conceiving naturally has not yet been successful after some time trying - and the EPT advises that women under 35 should seek medical advice following 12 months trying to conceive and those over 35 should seek advice after 6 months.

With Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

nlakhani

Post by nlakhani »

Hello All,
I understand and can relate to the fears to women on this platform however it feels like this pandemic wont be going away any time soon so we have decided to continue trying because I don't know the stats that if it will take longer to conceive compared to other women with x2 tubes. So we would rather continue trying and give us enough time for it to happen then to wait. Also with consideration to our age/lifestyle and other factors, we just felt it was best to continue trying. We dont know if it will ever be safe to try as this pandemic could continue for months or years, no idea...
I have had some friends and family who are currently pregnant or trying during the pandemic and they are all OK and taking the necessary safety measures.
In regards to an early scan, the society here advised me to contact my local hospital to where I would be under the care of if I was pregnant to enquire if they will scan women with history of an ectopic or not.
My hospital confirmed they will only scan a woman who has had a previous ectopic pregnancy, which you will be referred to by your GP. It may require pushing more for this appointment due to resource.
However every hospital is different, some may not do any more. There are options to go private too.
It would be advisable to contact your local hospitals where you would be or have been treated to enquire, it may give you peace of mind.