By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Refusing Methotrexate - is this possible?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ellie23

Refusing Methotrexate - is this possible?

Post by Ellie23 »

Hello,
I’m new here so apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. I am currently going through my fourth miscarriage but this is my first ectopic.

My beta hcg levels are still low at only 205 and the EPU haven’t been able to find where the pregnancy is located, but my pattern and type of bleeding and the pattern my hormone levels have taken has led them to conclude that it is almost certainly ectopic. I had one dose of Methotrexate last week and my hcg only dropped 9%. The consultant tried to convince me to have a second dose yesterday but I refused as have felt awful physically since taking it and the thought of what it is doing to my organs and perhaps my future fertility terrifies me. I had another blood test today but I am bracing myself for another conversation about taking a second dose.

Has anybody else been in a similar situation - where they waited and it was fine? The hospital have tried to scare me into saying yes (lots of talk of potential rupture) - am I being irresponsible refusing?

Many thanks in advance for any support with this. I feel terrible uninformed and alone right now.

Bkam57

Re: Refusing Methotrexate - is this possible?

Post by Bkam57 »

This same thing happened to me. They never found the pregnancy and I got one shot. My hcg went down something like 12% from day 4-7 and it was supposed to go down 15. I refused the second shot and on Friday night/Saturday morning I stayed bleeding more and my hcg plummeted quickly so I was glad I refused the second shot. Obviously your safety is the big concern so I kept checking for symptoms Incase i had a rupture. If you do refuse the second one keep an eye out for the symptoms of ectopic and go to the ER if you feel them. I can’t advise as wel as your doctor obviously but in my case it just seemed I needed only another day before it really kicked in and everything resolved itself. I would have gotten the second shot probably later on if that hadn’t had happened. Good luck I’m so sorry you’re going through this the PUL thing is so awful!

Bkam57

Re: Refusing Methotrexate - is this possible?

Post by Bkam57 »

Also I’m so sorry you’ve been through so many pregnancies failed pregnancies are so awful. I’m not sure where you live but this practice in New York City area capes braverman reproductive center does a lot of unique things with recurrent miscarriage if you want to look into it I think they can work with your home doctor if you’re not in the US