By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

HCG levels 4 days after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
RedmondCate

HCG levels 4 days after methotrexate

Post by RedmondCate »

I had my first (and hopefully only) injection of methotrexate on Monday. Went back today for blood results and I know its normal for them to go up but I am verging on terrified. I had next to no symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, I presumed I had had a miscarriage. A stitch like feeling on my left hand side which was tender to push on. Even the doc said I seemed far too well for it to be ectopic. Got called back into hospital as they werent happy with blood results from wknd and it all came as a pretty big shock
Since injection they have went from around 1000 to 1500. They had fallen slightly naturally before ectopic was discovered.
I know day 4 to 7 is the more important result but is going up by 50% not concerning? I have 2 kids after very straight forward pregnancies and feel like a very crap mummy right now....completely preoccupied. Sigh!

EPT Host 20

Re: HCG levels 4 days after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear RedmondCate,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.
Yes, it is normal for your levels to rise this way at this stage. The hCG level often rises on the day four blood test because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous, so the cells will have continued to divide for two or three days after the injection was given, and some cells release more hCG when they start to disappear. Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven. If there has not been a 15% drop, this is when the doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery.

Cramping pain is the most common side effect, and it usually occurs during the first 2 to 3 days of treatment. Other side effects include fatigue, vaginal bleeding or spotting, nausea, vomiting, and indigestion, light-headedness or dizziness. Sadly I do have to remind you that if any pain or bleeding or light mess worsens to seek urgent medical advice but your EPU should have given you contact numbers or advised to attend your local A&E.

I know how frightening this all is, I too was treated with methotrexate injection. I made it through the treatment and went on to have a healthy pregnancy.
Be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

A numb or sore bottom from the injection

RedmondCate

Post by RedmondCate »

Thanks! I think because I had next to no symptoms I have this concern that it could be worsening and I wouldn't know as the symptoms might not come to much. Every twinge petrifies me! Thanks.

S1121

Post by S1121 »

Hello can you please let me know how you HCG levels dropped after your rise on day 4? Mine rose quite significantly and I am dreading day 7 tests

RedmondCate

Post by RedmondCate »

Hi,
They dropped by 18% and had to drop by 15% so scraped a pass. They then continued to drop by 50% on average every week, rven at the very end when they were as low as 26 they only dropped to 13 rather than just crashing out like hospital was sure would happen so it rumbled on a while.

Take care, be kind to yourself, it's tough but it does eventually end x