By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant Management Stories

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Hpod

Expectant Management Stories

Post by Hpod »

Hi everyone,
I am currently going through expectant management. I initially had my 'period' on time which then went to spotting for a week after it ended. I was advised to take a pregnancy test and to my surprise it was positive. I was referred to the EPAU for a scan and tests due to the early bleeding and they found no pregnancy in the uterus. They did find a mass next to my uterus, most likely in the tube, they believe to be ectopic. The mass is 22mm. My initial hcg on Tuesday was 777 which came down to 387 yesterday so they are confident it is resolving on its own. I go back next Thursday for the next blood test and they'll monitor me until the levels reach zero. My question is what to expect as I have no idea. My uterine lining was only 6mm at the time of the scan so I'm not expecting a huge bleed but wondered if anyone could share their experience of when they did bleed, although I'm sure this will be different for everyone. The unknown is just so scary. I don't have any pain but can feel twinges in my right side which I'm obviously keeping an eye on. I just want all this to be over.
Sending loads of luck and hugs to everyone on here going through the same...this is not easy at all

Sophie88

Re: Expectant Management Stories

Post by Sophie88 »

Your experience sounds quite similar to mine. I had some very light spotting with Bach pain 2 weeks after finding out I was pregnant. They saw it was an ectopic on ultrasound and started blood tests. Although it was a very anxious wait I was very lucky my levels went down to 18 within 10 days.

I noticed on my scan the lining was only 6.6mm, I only had a couple days of red blood but it was still not a proper flow which I was told not to worry I didn’t have it heavy. It’s stopped now and I guess maybe my period will be heavier when it comes back.

I’ve still got a little discomfort but feeling much better and less worried. Feel very lucky to avoid treatment but the waiting with expectant management is Pretty scary. I’m going to take it easy the next few weeks.

I just wish there was more info on expectant management and more reassurance for the future.

Take care and really hope you feel better soon, sending hugs xx

Hpod

Post by Hpod »

Hiya - thanks for the reply. That’s really reassuring to hear a similar story to mine. Were your levels similar to start? I am absolutely terrified of a rupture so the waiting is definitely the worst part. I had my first bloods 48hrs apart and after the initial 50% drop, they don’t want to see me for another week - it’s making me incredibly anxious. It’s so hard to find expectant management stories so thank you so much for replying. I can’t wait until this nightmare is over with x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Hpod,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I cannot give you any personal experience of expectant management and thank you Sophie88 for you reply.

We do have information on our website here and I hope this helps also
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team