By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Second Methotrexate Injection

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
AnnaLou20x

Second Methotrexate Injection

Post by AnnaLou20x »

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice and help if possible.... I am 25 and recently found out I was pregnant (my first pregnancy), but very quickly learned it was unfortunately ectopic. As my levels were 1490, I was able to have the injection. Unfortunately, after 7 days my levels had continued and to ride to 1700, despite being hopeful and wishing, and therefore I have been given a second injection yesterday. I have been told that if my levels do not drop by day 4 this time, they will have to remove my tube as they want to avoid rupture. I feel so anxious and distressed and just wanted to know did anyone else have to receive a second injection and if so, how did they feel/cope about it? Was it successful, if not, how do they manage the emotions? I am getting myself so worked up at the prospect of surgery and losing my tube and seem to be losing myself a little bit in the process 😥
Thank you in advance for all your help- it is really appreciated! 💗

AnnaLou20x

Re: Second Methotrexate Injection

Post by AnnaLou20x »

AnnaLou20x wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 pm
Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice and help if possible.... I am 25 and recently found out I was pregnant (my first pregnancy), but very quickly learned it was unfortunately ectopic. As my levels were 1490, I was able to have the injection. Unfortunately, after 7 days my levels had continued and to rise to 1700, despite being hopeful and wishing, and therefore I have been given a second injection yesterday. I have been told that if my levels do not drop by day 4 this time, they will have to remove my tube as they want to avoid rupture. I feel so anxious and distressed and just wanted to know did anyone else have to receive a second injection and if so, how did they feel/cope about it? Was it successful, if not, how did you manage the emotions? I am getting myself so worked up at the prospect of surgery and losing my tube and seem to be losing myself a little bit in the process 😥
Thank you in advance for all your help- it is really appreciated! 💗

EPT Host 20

Re: Second Methotrexate Injection

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear AnnaLou20x,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Some women do go on to have a second dose of methotrexate and for most, this works well. Sadly for a few ladies, the medicine may not work as the cells of the ectopic pregnancy may continue to divide, which could result in there still being a need for surgery. Success rates do vary depending on the circumstances in which methotrexate is given and studies report success rates of 65-95%. Success rates tend to be higher with lower serum hCG levels.
To help the treatment work, you should stop taking any vitamins, minerals or other medicines unless you have been told by the doctors treating you to continue with them, as some medicines interfere with the effects of methotrexate. It is particularly important that you do not take any folic acid supplements until your doctors are sure that the drug has worked. Also, in the first week it is important to avoid pain killers which fall into the NSAID group such as ibuprofen.

You may find it reassuring that in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

Please also do not do any strenuous exercise or heavy lifting,
Sending much love and positive thoughts that your second injection starts to reduce your levels.

Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team