By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic Stories / advice

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
2020Lady

Ectopic Stories / advice

Post by 2020Lady »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and was looking for some advise and really just the opportunity to talk to people who share our heartbreaking experiences.

In the space of 2 weeks, I have gone from being ecstatically happy at finding out I was pregnant with our first child, to experiencing the heartbreak that my pregnancy was likely not viable and to prepare to lose my baby, to discovering that it is an ectopic pregnancy.
I consider myself a really strong person, but the range of emotions over this period has knocked me.

It has been 3 days since I had the methotrexate injections and although I tried to ask as many questions as I could I never seemed to get a straight answer. Everything was such a blur, I don’t think I retained the information. I would usually have someone with me for this but with the Covid rules in place, I felt very alone. The nurses at the EPU were beyond amazing. I can not fault them, but they could not really give me answers to what I was asking.

I think that with everything going on and with the short space of time that this has all happened, that i am spending more and more time on google and it’s started to worry me.

I just do not know what to expect. When I believed it would be a miscarriage, I was told information that seemed very straight forward. Now I know it is ectopic, I worry for every sneeze or movement that it still might rupture and I will need surgery. I worry about every tightness in my shoulder incase it has ruptured. I appreciate everyone’s stories are different but I just want some real life stories from real people. What was it like for you after the injection? What symptoms did you have? What were the shoulder pains like.

I am sorry for the long post.

Sanwars2206

Re: Ectopic Stories / advice

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi 2020Lady

Both my ectopics I had no pain or discomfort.
My 1st was treated with methotrexate & I felt totally wiped out & drained for weeks after.
It was a very emotional time & it dragged on for weeks.
I didn’t necessarily worry about body pain as i cud see my bludy levels reducing.
My 2nd ectopic resulted in surgery but again no pain or symptoms because of that they pushed me back for 2 days in hospital & let more emergencies go b4 me. I don’t blieve they wud have done that if there was a big risk to me so try not to worry. If u r worried I’m sure the EPU will support u I know my local one just say to go in they don’t mind if u sit there all day they just want u2 b ok x

EPT Host 22

Re: Ectopic Stories / advice

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi 2020Lady,

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from this ectopic pregnancy and loss. It is never something that we expect for ourselves and in many cases, never something we've heard of before. It is good that you have received treatment and are being monitored. In these early days, it is so natural to have many questions. I will do my best to answer some, and these boards are filled with women and men who have experienced these traumas.

It's incredibly difficult to relax and take it easy during these early days. I know well how each sensation can cause a session with Dr. Google. As much as possible, try to take it easy and allow your body to rest. MTX is a powerful drug and may cause you to feel tired or nauseous. It is worthwhile to get rest and allow yourself to slow down. You may feel more reassured as you see your hcg levels decreasing. As Sanwars2206 said, always feel free to seek medical attention during this time, even for reassurance.

Every woman experiences MTX differently. Mine is not the best experience, to be honest, but what I can say is that the symptoms of pain were very dramatic when my condition worsened. There was no question of what was happening. The shoulder tip pain I experienced was very definitive, something I've never felt before or since. I share this to say that you are the best suited to know what is happening with your body.

These are very early days and its important for you to look after yourself right now. Please know that we are here for you whenever you need it.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team