By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Is this normal?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Bunny_

Is this normal?

Post by Bunny_ »

Hey everyone,

I recently had major emergency to remove my right fallopian tube, as it had ruptured due to an ectopic pregnancy. Looking back at my experience at the hospital, I'm left feeling confused and cheated of what I feel, should have been the correct treatment.

I was 6 weeks pregnant and had suffered with spotting throughout the pregnancy and had sudden bad cramps on the right hand side. When the pain got worse after 36hrs I called 111 and they advised me to go to A&E. I waited a few hours and was seen by a gynecologist. I entered the room and she asked me a few questions and she then received a phone call which she answered. She was having a heated conversation with someone saying things like 'I'm definitely on Gyno this week, you must be looking at last weeks rota' etc, I felt this was a little bit unprofessional but didn't think much of it at the time.

I had an internal exam where she confirmed that my cervix was closed and everything looked as it should be. She also checked my stomach by pressing it with her hands. When she touched the right hand side I visibly flinched and pushed her hand away as this was so sore. She didn't seem to think this was a problem as she never mentioned ectopic pregnancy to me, although she did book me in for a scan the following day.

In the morning the next day I started to feel feverish as the pain got worse, but I felt reassured about what the doctor had said the day before so I just waited for my scan later that day.

When I had my scan they confirmed it was ectopic and that I would need surgery to remove my right tube as it had already ruptured. This was really scary to me. The doctors explained that they would try keyhole surgery (laparoscopy) first to remove the tube and if I had lost too much blood they would have to cut me open (laparotomy). I signed the consent forms and waited for surgery.

When it was time to go through, I was intoduced to the anaesthetists who explained what would be happening. While they were talking to me a woman (I assume the surgeon) appeared next to me shouting to the other members of staff 'Where are the *medical word for laparoscopy cameras*' 'Can someone get me one in the next 5 minutes' 'How can I be expected to work like this?!' clearly distressed. This made me feel really anxious which was noticable to one of the anaesthetists who told me 'Don't worry, this is about a completely different surgery'. Another of the anaesthetists asked the surgeon 'Do you still want to go ahead?' and she responded by saying 'Yes', looked and me and said 'We will just have to open you up!'.

When I came around, the doctor admitted to me that they had run out of the necessary equipment to perform a laparoscopy, so I had a laparotomy instead. I had only lost 200ml of blood, which they said wasn't a lot, so I feel it should have been possible for them to perform the laparoscopy.

I just feel really sad that first of all, the gynecologist seemed more interested in her shifts than my symptoms and had she booked me in for an emergency scan I could have possibly had methotrexate and saved my tube. And secondly, I could have possibly had a far less invasive surgery if the hospital had the correct equipment. I now have a 5inch scar across my stomach with a 6 week recovery period. I just can't believe that hospital staff can run out of equipment needed for emergency surgeries - but maybe this happens more than I think?
Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?
On another note, I'm also left feeling really worried about my fertility. I have been getting painful stabbing pains on the opposite side to the one that was removed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I understand at this point there is nothing I can do but I just wanted to hear everyone elses thoughts and experiences.
Thank you for taking the time to read this

EPT Host 22

Re: Is this normal?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Bunny_,

I am so sorry to hear about this worrying time you are going through and suffering this ectopic pregnancy. The entire process can leave us with so many questions, and I can understand the frustration of not feeling heard by your medical providers. While I'm not medically qualified to comment on your specific situation, I'll do my best to help.

Right now, after the physical and emotional trauma of an ectopic pregnancy, it's so important to take it easy and to look after yourself. You may be feeling the physical symptoms of the surgery and rest is essential. I know all of this information can feel incredibly overwhelming and can cause anxiety. As much as you can, give yourself space and time to recover and take it as slowly as possible. You know your body the best and should reach out to your medical providers whenever you need or have questions.

In regards to your fertility, the Trust has some guidelines which might be helpful: https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/trying-to-conceive/. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time. This means that rather than your fertility being halved, it is more the case that the opportunity to conceive has been affected by around 30%. Or looking at it another way, it means we have around a 70% opportunity of conception with each menstrual cycle.

As well, If you think it may help, we can certainly arrange to speak to you about what you have been through and be a shoulder to lean on. My colleagues and I have also experienced ectopic pregnancies and understand how heartbreaking it is. You can ask any questions or simply tell us about the horrible time you have been through. You can also look at counseling services and emotional recovery support on our website under Patients/Emotional recovery. In terms of your care circumstances, you may be aware that you can raise your thoughts via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service or PALS. You can find your local PALS here and it may be an avenue which can help:
http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patien ... Search/363

Know that we are here for you throughout your recovery, whether you have questions or want to vent. We are here for as long as you need it.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team