By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

HCG up and down + progesterone

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
SmallCass

HCG up and down + progesterone

Post by SmallCass »

Hi lovely forum - a questions in two parts.

I was diagnosed with a ectopic last week, I should have been 7 weeks but I thought I had a miscarriage just before 5 weeks so my body was already getting rid of the pregnancy... needing up in epu when spotting continued+ test stayed positive...I am on expectant management but totally freaking out - I know my numbers are very low but they are going up and down... 55, 44, 61... is this normal? Ok? Any advice or calming words?

Second question is about next pregnancies, when I thought this was a miscarriage (it would have been my 3rd) a private consult prescribed me progesterone for after ovulation next time we try to conceive, I terrifying myself that an ectopic will now been I can’t take this... I don’t think my mind can do another pregnancy without trying something. Any one know anything about this?

Thanks so much
X

Ashylou66

Re: HCG up and down + progesterone

Post by Ashylou66 »

I'm going through the same thing, when I got my first test my hcg was at 1130, then 1500, then down to 900 and now 600. They didnt see anything on my ultrasound even at that number, and I've been bleeding but jts like coffee grounds color, even though they know its not on the uterus because of the up and down and not doubling that have me on management, yours are really low so you probably aren't in danger. Good thing you caught it so early, im just writing to be supportive, I dont know any answers either and I've been so emotionally distraught.

EPT Host 20

Re: HCG up and down + progesterone

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear SmallCass,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
With expectant management, levels can plateau before falling again but you shouldn't see them consistently rising and if this is the case, I would ask to speak to your medical team about further investigations to see why this is.

Regarding your next pregnancy, the chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team