By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advice

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ik2018x

Advice

Post by Ik2018x »

Hi all - I wanted some advice
What do you think I should do?

Back in November 2019 I found out I was pregnant (assumed one 4 weeks) but few days aged my rest I was spotting and getting twinges on one side alongside shoulder pain so I went doctors to get checked - I specifically asked could this be ectopic she said no if it was you would get a colic pain (this is symptoms of rupture stage). I requested scan so she booked it for two week after where they thought I would be 6 weeks. I did mention I can be further along.

Anyway week after I had excruciating colic pain - I knew in my head this was ectopic - anyway cut long story short I had a terrible hospital experience - they removed my left tube, and I had a back eye from when I was left along in room just before my op. I mentioned to nurse I felt dizzy and she ran out the room and I fell and hit my head and passed out. The doctors incorrectly inserted canulers into my arms and wrists. I even heard they put the wrong colour in too. Anyway after I come home I felt so upset and let down by the medically ream especially my GP so I decided to take legal proceedings - I got pregnant straight after luckily so fertility does not seem to be effected but I don’t know whether to process with my case purely on basis it could have been diagnosed earlier, the psychological damage it’s caused and sensitivity to my nerves in wrist from the incorrect tubes. Everything my husband went through and to think it could been worse and I have son already who is only 2. What do you think I should do?

Also one the lights I dropped my buzzer and no nurse checked up on me for hours on end so I had to call the hospital from my phone as it was close to me to tell them to put me through to my ward so I can tell them I need my buzzer. Such bad experience.

EPT Host 20

Re: Advice

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ik2018,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and the difficult time you have experienced.
Sadly ectopic pregnancy can be very difficult to diagnose, but if you feel you were misdiagnosed or have concerns about the care you received in hospital, I would first advise speaking to the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS), who will be able to go through your medical notes and discuss any concerns with you.
If you are asking if you should continue with legal proceedings, I'm afraid as a Trust we cannot give you advice regarding this as it's a decision only you can make. I would advise speaking to PALS who will be able to give you information on your care and you can then make a decision.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team