By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain and nightmares after ruptured ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Amybee

Pain and nightmares after ruptured ectopic

Post by Amybee »

Hello,

This is my fist time posting on a forum but I wasn’t too sure where to go. I was rushed into hospital on Tuesday evening with severe right hand side pain. My partner was not allowed into the hospital with me due to COVID which made everything seem 1000 times worse! I was in A&E a few hours before I collapsed and was rushed in for emergency surgery. I lost a lot of blood and had a transfusion. I was in hospital for 3 days but back home now and really struggling. I have really bad cramps and my wounds pull really badly when I try to stand up. I was also given iron tablets when I left but I think these are giving me severe headaches? Has anyone else suffered this? Also having to sleep with the light on because I wake up in the night and feel like I’m falling backwards into a black hole. Are nightmares normal? Anyway I feel like I’m really complaining now and I Should just be happy to be alive but this is much harder than I expected :(

Annaa

Re: Pain and nightmares after ruptured ectopic

Post by Annaa »

Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. I had a ruptured ectopic, emergency surgery and blood transfusion two years ago after collapsing at home. What you've been through is extremely traumatic, without the added complication COVID meaning you couldn't have the support of your parter.

Once I got home I did have pain and was extremely tired, but it didn't feel out of proportion to what I'd been through if that makes sense. I think the iron they give you is really strong and I don't think I got on with it well either, I didn't do anything about it, but might be worth speaking to your GP or the hospital to see if there are alternatives if you're going for tests for hormones and iron anyway

I did also have some reactions to the painkillers in hospital, which gave me hallucinations and very vivid dreams, so I'm wondering if you could be having the same thing with your nightmares? Once I was home and not having morphine, they went straight away, so it might not be the same thing.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this and please don't think you sound like you're complaining. It's a really scary experience and there's not that much information out there particularly when you have had emergency surgery.

Best wishes,

Anna

Katrina24

Post by Katrina24 »

Hi Amybee

I'm really sorry to hear what happened.
Your story seems similar to mine. I collapsed during lockdown at home at 5am and was sent off in an ambulance and straight to theatre for emergency surgery. I had to have a blood transfusion too and left tube removed.

Cramps and pain will slowly get better. My husband had to help me sit down and get back up from the toilet. I still get an uncomfortable feeling every now and then a 3 months on (doesn't last for long, just 5 mins and then it goes). Did you know if you hit your head as you fell, maybe that's why you're getting so many headaches?

Afterwards, if i needed a wee during the night, ALL the lights go on. I couldn't go into the spare room at all and the door had to be shut for about 6 weeks because I would just break down (that's where I collapsed and the paramedics dealt with me). I sometimes make my partner wake up in the middle of the night to check on me.

It is still so recent for you. I think nightmares are probably normal but I hope they stop soon for you. You've been through a lot, don't ever worry about posting, especially on here. We are all here for eachother. Sending my love.

Amanda_T88

Post by Amanda_T88 »

Hi Amybee,

I also went through something similar. My ectopic ruptured and I had emergency surgery and lost my right tube, also during COVID so my partner couldn't be there (I did not receive a blood transfusion though). I had a very hard time sleeping due to physical discomfort and anxiety/nightmares while recovering. I would wake with a start and had a lot of sleep paralysis/false awakenings. I've heard it takes some time for our brains and bodies to get back into a normal rhythm after the anesthesia, maybe that is part of what you're experiencing. What you went through is very hard, be kind to yourself!