By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Is this definitely ectopic?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Goldengirl

Is this definitely ectopic?

Post by Goldengirl »

Hello

I'm currently going through my first pregnancy and was told last night it was a pregnancy of unknown location.

My last period was 13/09. I had a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks ago and rang my GP. I've just had the tiniest bit of spotting no other symptoms. She referred me to emergency pregnancy which is Gynaecology in our hospital.

On Tuesday I had a scan but they couldn't find anything. My hcg level was just over 1000.

Last night I had more bloods but no scan. My hcg level is 1100.

Based on this the doctor told me it's a pregnancy of unknown location. He was actually quite cruel. Asked why I was upset and told me I was going to die if I don't sort it out.

I feel like maybe the pregnancy is earlier than we thought - 5/6 weeks rather than 6/7. Based on these results (one scan and 2 bloods) I feel like it's too soon to be so conclusive.

I have a real medical phobia especially of needles, these were my first bloods and this has been so traumatic for me.

I'm very scared, confused and devastated.

I have another scan and bloods tomorrow although I think doctor would have preferred me to choose treatment.

Does anyone have any advice for me please?

TubelessWonder

Re: Is this definitely ectopic?

Post by TubelessWonder »

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through and your experience with the doctor. Mine was very similar, asking why I was upset!?

It does unfortunately sound like a pregnancy of unknown location because of the very small increase in hcg. Its a really scary and horrible thing to go through. I hope they can give you a more definitive answer at your scan tomorrow. As horrible as it is though if you can sort it quickly, hopefully you won't have to have your tube removed. Mine had already ruptured so there was no saving it.

You will get through this. Xx

vic1983

Post by vic1983 »

Sometimes, because doctors see this kind of thing everyday, I don't think they remember that this is new for you and it is very traumatic! It is a horrifying realising you are having a miscarriage but then to realise you are having an ectopic and might lose a tube is just terrifying. And it tends to happen so quickly you don't even have time to realise what the [heck] is happening until it is done and dusted :-( So it is all very very traumatic and no one should belittle that or make you feel anything otherwise.

We know how you feel and we are here for you and are happy to support you.

My advice is do not think about what might happen tomorrow or the next day or next week. Think about what is happening right now and what the very next step is. Do not panic. Everything will be ok and you will get out the other side of it. Stay calm if you can. Keep busy in your mind. Do not Google too much!

It will be ok. Message us back if you need to know next steps or you have questions about anything at all!

xxx

Goldengirl

Post by Goldengirl »

Thank you, I had surgery today and had an ectopic pregnancy removed as well as the tube. It was a really awful experience but at least it is all over now. Hasn't really sunk in yet.

TubelessWonder

Post by TubelessWonder »

I'm really sorry to hear that 😔 such a horrible thing to experience. I'm a month on and still don't quite believe it happened to me. Here if you need to chat x