By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

HCG Levels

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Pavan93

HCG Levels

Post by Pavan93 »

Hi

I’ve just finished the end of my ectopic journey and I just wanted to say I’m sorry if you are also going through this.

This has been one of the most testing journeys I have ever been on and although i had so many people around me at times I felt so alone.

It’s going from the excitement of being pregnant, to thinking you’re having a misscariage to finding out it’s ectopic - a double blow. Then the fear of will I be able to conceive again sets in.

My HCG levels took 40 days to to go back to normal and it just felt that the process was so drawn out... & then I got COVID!

I just want to give you hope that it does end and the HCG levels will drop. The nurses said it’s not as frequent for them to take as long as mine did.

4 days after Methetrexate they increased but on day 7 they dropped to 800.

Week 2 - 600
Week 3 - 400
Week 4 - 300
Week 5 - 150
Week 6 - 126
Week 7 - 100
Week 8 - 0

The fact that my HCG took so long to drop felt like the whole process was drawn out when all I wanted was my normal period so we could try again.

Try to stay as positive as you can there is an end to all and you will be able to finally start looking towards the future.

❤️

EPT Host 20

Re: HCG Levels

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Pavan93,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and the difficult time you went through.
You are right, it can seem an age before your levels return to normal however methotrexate is less invasive than surgery and there is no difference in treatment methods in trying to conceive again.

I am also so sorry to hear that you developed covid and I hope you have made a recovery from it.
Thank you for taking the time to write this post, it will help many other ladies going through methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy.

As a gentle reminder regarding trying to conceive following Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

NovemberRain

Post by NovemberRain »

@pavan93 / Karen

I had surgery on 19th Nov. When my doctor's surgery took my bloods initially at 5 wks + 3 pregnant they were 1039 but 3 days later they were taken again at the hospital after my scan to confirm a miscarriage, and they'd more than trebled to 3,500. I was asked to come back in for a second scan later that day by a consultant and an ectopic was diagnosed. The baby had a strong heartbeat and blood supply. Within 2 hours I was in theatre having my baby and left tube removed 😢 It's now the 11th day since my surgery and I only started to bleed an hour ago so I assume my hcg levels are dropping and my body is responding to that but I've no idea how long my ordeal will last. I was discharged with no follow planned so my hcg levels aren't being monitored. I was just told to expect a bleed, then a heavy period 2-10 weeks after surgery and my first normal period again 4 weeks after that 🤷‍♀️

NovemberRain

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear NovemberRain,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
To answer your question about follo up, if you had a salpingectomy (fallopian tube removed) no follow-up is needed although some hospitals ask you to return for an outpatient appointment about 6 weeks after surgery to ensure that your tummy has healed properly and to answer any questions you may have. If you are not offered a follow-up appointment, your GP would probably like to see you at around 6 weeks, or before you return to work, to undertake a postoperative check to make sure that you are healing well.

The first bleed soon after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period and is caused by the drop in hCG. Your periods can take a while to re-establish - they can re-start anything between two and ten weeks after surgery and most women find that their period arrives sometime around week six or seven after surgery.
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention

Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.
You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

We have more information on our website here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/your-bo ... pregnancy/

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need,

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team