By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods before and after ectopic/tube removal+pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ectopicat35

Periods before and after ectopic/tube removal+pregnancy

Post by Ectopicat35 »

Hi all,

I am 35, non-smoker, not overweight, never been pregnant or had surgery before this - basically no risk factors for an ectopic other than being 35...

I recently had an unplanned ectopic (tubal) pregnancy the start of December where it resulted in having my left tube removed (first pregnancy)

I got my period when I was 14/15 and its always been irregular- at times it has come naturally every month, and when I take the pill it would come every month. Sometimes I would get my period every other month or so. when not taking birth control. I was beginning to think maybe I had endometriosis , which when I had surgery, my doctor said I am completely healthy fortunately- no cysts or anything.. that my ectopic was just random and unfortunate..

My question is :

How many ladies here had irregular periods before their ectopic?? Do irregular periods increase chances??

How were your periods (those with irregular periods) after tubal removal??

I have one tube left (my right) and how am I supposed to know its internally healthy vs "looks healthy" I have heard about the dye test but does that really work?? Are there any other tests?

Do you think having irregular periods in the first place is a sign of unhealthy tubes??

I may want to have a baby in the future and i want to know if any of you with one tube/ irregular periods have been lucky?? Was it difficult to get pregnant??

Thanks

Ectopicat35

Re: Periods before and after ectopic/tube removal+pregnancy

Post by Ectopicat35 »

Actually sorry! I got my period at 13 not 14/15 if it makes any difference

NovemberRain

Re: Periods before and after ectopic/tube removal+pregnancy

Post by NovemberRain »

Hi there

I had my ectopic 6 weeks ago today and lost my left tube. I had no obvious risk factors other than my age (39)... And when I mentioned this to my consultant the morning after my op before discharge, she didn't seem to think age was a factor, which I found strange as it's listed in the literature they gave me. I'm otherwise healthy - eat well, exercise a lot and am also blessed to have a beautiful baby daughter who is nearly 1. Having her to focus on has made this easier to bear, although I really want to give her at least one sibling.

My 3 periods before the ectopic arrived at the expected time (give or take a day) but had been different - shorter in length, 3 or 4 days rather than my normal 5. I had a similar bleed before my ectopic but as it happened at the same time as my period was due, that's what I thought it was, so I didn't know I was pregnant again in Oct until I started ovulation testing in Nov and got a positive result on my first day of testing, after that I did a pregnancy test which was positive. I don't know if irregular periods increase the chances and haven't read anything suggesting that it could be linked.

11 days after my op I had a bleed which lasted 3 days followed by a few days of light spotting (which matches what my periods were like prior to the ectopic). I was told to expect this but thought it would start sooner. My first proper period has started at lunchtime today, my op was 6 weeks ago tonight and 6 or 7 weeks post op is supposed to be common.

I was told my remaining tube looks healthy too. I had the dye test less than 2 years ago when we were trying for my daughter and was told both tubes were healthy and I fell pregnant a few months later. I don't know of any other tests but might ask my doctor the same question.

I think it's worth a conversation with your doctor, even if just to ease your worries. If you do want children, my advice is not to wait long. My sister & I both had our first babies this year (me aged 38 & my sister aged 40) and it took quite a while for us both to conceive (16/17 months), although it happened much quicker this time. I'm not sure how things will work out now with only one tube and getting closer to 40 but I haven't given up hope!

Hope this helps & Happy New Year. Let's hope 2021 brings much joy & laughter for us both and all the other ladies in a similar situation xx