By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Suppressed immune system and COVID

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LauraG

Suppressed immune system and COVID

Post by LauraG »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone can help but thought it was worth asking.

I was given 2 doses of methotrexate at the end of Nov/beginning of December.
I was told this would suppress my immune system and to be very careful re COVID. I work at a school so the doctor said I needed to stay off work and basically sheild at home.
Unfortunately, the methotrexate didn't work and I had surgery on the 6th Dec. I was told when I was discharged to be extra careful as my immune system would be suppressed and I'd be vulnerable whilst I was healing.

Does anyone know how long my immune system would be suppressed for? I've asked my GP and they said they don't know. Work have been amazing and as we are technically shut I've been able to work from home but if staff need to isolate I may be needed to go in. I'm not sure if I'm worrying unnecessarily but no one seems to be able to give me a definite answer.

Thanks xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Suppressed immune system and COVID

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LauraG,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Unfortunately I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific answers to your questions. We do however have information on our website which I have copied for you

Methotrexate is an immunosuppressant when used for a long time to treat auto-immune diseases and skin conditions. The methotrexate regimen used for ectopic pregnancy is different; it is given in a maximum of two one-off doses to women with healthy immune systems and normal white cell counts. White blood cells fight infections. Very rarely, methotrexate causes the white cell count to fall and if this happens it could potentially impact their immune systems. In our medical advisers’ experience, this side effect is very rare and should neither prevent methotrexate being used, nor prompt women to routinely shield after having methotrexate.

According to the RCOG:
“It is likely the detrimental effects of methotrexate in COVID-19 are minimal in well women. Methotrexate is a mildly immunosuppressive medication but there is not thought to be a significant risk at the dose used to treat ectopic pregnancy. It is unlikely to increase vulnerability to COVID-19 and does not require home shielding after administration.”

We have more information on coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy on our website here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/ectopic ... ronavirus/

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LauraG

Re: Suppressed immune system and COVID

Post by LauraG »

Thank you so much. Xx