By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Feelings of anxiety

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
al27

Feelings of anxiety

Post by al27 »

Hi
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in May 2020 at 7 weeks and had a laporotomy (due to covid I could not have a laporoscopy) to remove the left tube. We decided to try to conceive again in Jan 21 and got pregnant in the first month of trying but unfortunately this resulted in a chemical pregnancy. It's been two weeks since that happened and my body has this weekend shown all the signs of ovulation, however alongside this came pains similar to the pain I felt when I had the ectopic. Pain similar to trapped wind on my left side which has eased over the last few days but is still niggling me a little.

I am really struggling now. I felt obsessed about getting pregnant and it was only the first month to try. I was doing ovulation tests then testing for pregnancy daily for almost a week before my period was due. I now feel obsessed by every ache or twinge that I have in my abdomen, goggling everything from adhesions and endometriosis to the possibility of ectopic with a negative test. I don't know if I will be able to cope with trying to conceive again and if we do manage to be successful I fear I will have anxiety for the duration of the pregnancy. I am 37 and I have two children already, I was not like this with those two pregnancies but after the trauma of an ectopic I am no longer the same. Has anyone else felt anything like this?

EPT Host 20

Re: Feelings of anxiety

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear al27,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses.
It is normal to feel anxious about the future. We experience a mix of emotions from wanting to try again to being petrified of what may lie ahead. It is perfectly normal to feel scared after the ordeal you have endured. It is also normal to feel twinges and aches in subsequent pregnancies as we definitely have a heightened perception. I was only able to relax to some degree after my early scan. It is a nerve-wracking time and you friends here who understand.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.
Sadly I do have to remind you to seek urgent medical advice with any worsening abdominal pain, or you develop unusual bleeding, shoulder tip pain or you feel dizzy and unwell.

If your anxiety is worsening, I would suggest speaking to your GP, they maybe able to offer you blood tests to check your hCG levels are rising as expected in early pregnancy.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

nlakhani

Re: Feelings of anxiety

Post by nlakhani »

Hello
I completely understand how you feel actually. I feel anxiety is always there as a result of an ectopic pregnancy but also for some women it takes time and as time passes, the anxiety builds.. I completely understand as I am in this similar situation.
I had an ectopic in April 2016 and after 18 months I got successfully pregnant with my son who is now 2 years old. However the next phase in our life is to try for another, and unfortunately its taking a while, and of course anxiety builds as time goes on and each month you just hold onto hopes that it has happened.. but it doesn't.. I am very lucky to get my son and was just hoping it would be easier second time round or at least take less time. I am also 37 years ago and feel the same pressures as you. I do reflect on the time back to when I conceived my son and although I had worries of another ectopic, I don't believe I had any anxiety as bad as I do now.. I think the fact that COVID-19 has come about has made things so much harder for women with already the pressures of previous losses and pregnancy. For me, I am trying to focus on eating healthy and am training with a personal trainer to help take my mind of it and also get my body in a good place. When I exercise, I feel so good and great even when in pain.
I completely understand every little twinge of pain, makes your mind run a million miles ahead thinking about it but when I cast my mind back to my son being conceived in 2017, I was completely relaxed and open minded, in fact I wasn't even phased that I had missed my period and even after taking the pregnancy test I was not stressed or worried as I felt it was important to remain focused for the health of the growing baby. I hope this helps! Don't worry I am trying to do this myself!