By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Contraception after ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Caitlyn L

Contraception after ectopic

Post by Caitlyn L »

What’s the best contraceptives to take following an ectopic pregnancy caused by an iud? Just wondering what professionals and others have decided to go on and if they have had recurring ectopics afterwards?

I just don’t want this to happen again. I decided to go with the implant and am hoping this won’t cause another ectopic.

Thank you

Caitlyn

EPT Host 20

Re: Contraception after ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Caitlyn,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
We would not be able to advise specific contraception as the choice would depend upon many factors including your medical history, age and current medications to make a few. We do not have access to your medical records and are also not medically trained.
We have general information on contraception here under the title Contraception
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/your-bo ... pregnancy/

I would advise speaking to your GP, practice nurse or family planning team to decide on the best method for you.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

fordorchid

Re: Contraception after ectopic

Post by fordorchid »

I have found this post looking for similar support.

My GP has warned, as I am reaching 40 that it is unsafe to stay on the combined pill, he said I cant have the coil because of my history of ectopics, and advised I phone to book for the implant, which I did for a nurse to ask if I had considered my options, one of which being the coil. She went on to explain that the coil was 'only' a category 1 and that if I fell pregnant on it then there would be 'only be a 50% chance of ectopic!' She also advised that because I have normal blood pressure and weight that I could stay on the combined pill. She explained that it was my decision if I wanted to think about it.
It is just a mind field, how are you meant to know what to do?
I found this: https://www.univadis.co.uk/viewarticle/ ... red-715716 and am therefore going to go with the implant again but I really do feel strongly that this should be championed