By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovery question

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Amynicole93

Recovery question

Post by Amynicole93 »

Hi everyone, I’m just curious to how long your recovery took, physically, I’m nearly at 2 weeks post surgery, I had laparoscopy (key hole) and they removed my tube along with the pregnancy .. my wounds are still pretty sore and I’m still not able to be on my own for any length of time .. I’m just trying to figure out when I’ll be able to go back to work, as I’m a self employed hairdresser.. I want to take off as much time as I need because I don’t want to set back recovery but in the same breath I could do with a distraction & I also don’t want to lose clients if I can help it .. sorry this is longer than I planned, thank you if you’ve read this far & if you reply ❤️

Acoulson91

Re: Recovery question

Post by Acoulson91 »

Hey there,

I think I'm in a similar boat to you, my surgery (also laparoscopy to remove tube) will be 2 weeks ago tomorrow. They advised me that it can take 2 to 4 weeks. I tried to go for a little walk today, which I managed OK, but my belly button wound is taking a long time to heal and bits are still sore. I think you just need to give yourself as much time as you can and maybe start doing little bits and building it up. That's what I'm trying and it seems to be working. I think it's the emotional side that takes longer to get a hold on. I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as possible!

Amynicole93

Post by Amynicole93 »

Thank you, I’ve been able to do the odd thing around the house but i still feel quite tired after, I’m the same with my belly button wound that’s been the worst one for me, also when I took my dressing off one of my stitches was stuck to the dressing 🤢 so that definitely didn’t help 🙈 .. I’m finding that I can’t keep my mind occupied for very long, so I’m ready to physically get better so I can’t start rearranging the house or something to keep my head busy.. I really hope u recover soon ❤️ Thank you for your reply xx

Acoulson91

Post by Acoulson91 »

Oh no that sounds nasty with the stitches sticking to the dressing! I just find mine starts to scab over but then it all cracks when I move and oozes and has to start all over again, It's quite grim. I can relate to trouble keeping your mind occupied. It's all very frustrating when you just want to be able to distract yourself from it all for a while but you can't get away from the surgical wounds and discomfort that give a constant reminder! Thank you I wish you a speedy recovery too! (just try not to jump into anything too quick) ❤ sending healing thoughts your way! X

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear ladies
I would say this is very individual for us, but most people generally have 4-6 weeks recovery time from surgery.
If you are wanting to get back to work, could you do a phased approach? Work half days or only a few days for the first few weeks to see how you go and slowly build it up as you are ready? I think Alcoulson's advice of going for little walks is a fabulous indication of how fit your body is feeling and how you feel after doing exercise.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team