By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Lower Abdomen Pain following surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
linzi2105

Lower Abdomen Pain following surgery

Post by linzi2105 »

Hi.

I had surgery for ectopic pregnancy on 11/11 and removal of my right tube. The incision areas are healing nicely and all the bruising is disappearing and I finished having my blood thinning jabs last Sunday. However I am feeling extremely tender across my lower abdomen (around what I would refer to as the top of the public triangle if that makes sense?) a couple of inches or so lower than where my stitches are . This seems to get worse when I go to the toilet or when I wear jeans that sit around my hip region. Does anyone know if this is normal? I am paranoid about every little pain in that area after this experience :(

EPT Host 20

Re: Lower Abdomen Pain following surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Linzi,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Pain such as this is common following surgery, your body has been through a lot and it will take time to settle down. Having said this if you get any oozing around your incision sites or start developing a temperature, please seek medical advice.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

HappyDaysAhead1981

Post by HappyDaysAhead1981 »

I had my left tube removed 25th October, I’m still not right. Inside doesn’t feel right at all. I’m going for another internal scan tomorrow :(

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear HappyDaysAhead,
I am so sorry to hear you are having pains, I am glad you are having investigations and I hope tomorrow brings you answers.
Above all, be kind to yourself,
Sending much love,
Karen x

Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

linzi2105

Post by linzi2105 »

Dear HappyDaysAhead. Sorry to hear about your issues, this whole thing is rubbish isn’t it? Hope your scan was ok? Sending thoughts and best wishes x

Penny11

Post by Penny11 »

Hi 👋

My surgery was two weeks ago (feels longer, feels shorter) and I wouldn't call it pain that I'm having but it's just a constant discomfort and ache. I want to look after myself by going for short walks outside for my physical and mental health, and I am always glad I go but I do find it wipes me out and does seem to be that bit to much. I have to have daily baths with epsom salts just to soothe the aches. I used to do yoga but I am afraid to do any stretching even gentle stretches as i feel like my healing areas are going to tear.

I do worry about a return to work in what is a really physical job. I have two more weeks off after today and I am.trying to do what's best but I don't want to become completely idle and then be even more incapable back at work.

Not sure anyone can advise about this since it's all over the place but just sharing xx

_SBKM

Post by _SBKM »

I had my surgery 27th august and still don’t feel like I have healed inside. I worry it is scar tissue or adhesions and il be left with the pain forever. Had scans etc and they say everything looks fine

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Penny,
Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

hthannah

Post by hthannah »

Like a lot of the posts on here, I am still experiencing abdominal pain after surgery removing a Fallopian tube, which took place on 11/11 (almost 4 weeks ago). I do find the pain moves around a lot rather than being in one place and tends to be worse with certain movements or sitting in certain positions. I often find a hot water bottle helps.

Last night I was curled up in a ball trying to sleep because I was so cold, then woke up feeling a little nauseous. Lying out flat made the nausea go away.

I am finding it hard navigating the new and constantly changing physical boundaries. I am slowly getting more able but still can’t lift very much or bend to pick things up. My biggest activity at the moment is going for a slow walk around the block. Of course that is getting harder to keep up with the winter weather coming.

xCheli

Post by xCheli »

I had a removal of a burst ectopic pregnancy... on 4th Dec.

I've been getting twinges and such around the left side where the incison is, I've been walking about prob more then I should to try and shift anxiety and guilt... is this normal something anyone has felt?

hthannah

Post by hthannah »

I get twinges on the right where my tube was removed. I’m hoping this will settle down over time.

Rinihartini

Post by Rinihartini »

I had MTX instead of removal. On and off i still feel the twinges. Maybe cause i worry too much?