By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Hycosy, HSG or nothing...

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
CO1803

Hycosy, HSG or nothing...

Post by CO1803 »

Hi All

I was hoping to get some advice and see what others have done. I had a ruptured ectopic which resulted in my R tube being removed in September and am just wondering whether I should push to have my L tube 'looked' at? My consultant didn't seem to think it was worth it as my L tube 'appeared' fine when they looked at it during my operation and she said that the test will only tell if the tube is open in that moment so not to stress.... I've been thinking the past few days about it and I can see where she was coming from but I keep thinking what if my L tube is blocked; surely it would be better knowing now?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated; so sorry we are all in this boat but am grateful for this forum.

Thanks in advance.
x

roweh002

Re: Hycosy, HSG or nothing...

Post by roweh002 »

Hi

In the UK I don't believe they will give you an tests after 1 ectopic as the chances of normal pregnancy are so high.

I've have two ectopics and it was only after the second one I had to push for my tube to be checked. But even then there are no guarantees, like you say the test only shows if it's open.

Hope that helps

CO1803

Post by CO1803 »

Hey Roweh002

I'm so sorry to hear you've had 2 ectopic pregnancies; thank you so much for sharing your experience I appreciate it.

X

Rinihartini

Post by Rinihartini »

@CO1803

I wanted the doctor to check, but they mostly did a transvaginal ultrasound and also took bloodtest. That is all :( I’m not in UK by the way.

The doctor said good luck in trying for another. And that is all.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear CO1803,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
In the UK it is not common to test following one ectopic pregnancy unless the doctors are concerned at the time.
The reason why further testing is not routinely offered is because it has limitations.
Unfortunately, tubal patency tests cannot provide complete peace of mind. Even if a tubal patency test shows an open Fallopian tube, it does not show whether it will work – only a normally located pregnancy can show that at least one Fallopian tube worked.

The test is not 100% accurate as the Fallopian tubes can go into spasm during the test and can appear blocked even though this is not the case. This can cause unnecessary anxiety if the Fallopian tube is affected by spasm but in face is actually working normally.

The test cannot determine what the internal villi of the Fallopian tube look like.

Having said this, if you do have concerns, I would advise speaking to your GP or medical team.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team