By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

IVF after 2 Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Strying4

IVF after 2 Ectopic

Post by Strying4 »

Hi all,

I am recovering from my second ectopic and with now both tubes removed. devastated as been TTC for 4 years. I have been told that the only chance of having a baby is to have IVF. I had already had 2 rounds of IVF which failed before the ectopic.

I guess I am looking to see if anyone has been in this situation and gone on to have successful IVF? I am so nervous that this is it and I will never get my chance.

Thanks x

EPT Host 22

Re: IVF after 2 Ectopic

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Strying4,

I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered multiple ectopic pregnancies. They are traumas that no one should need to experience even once. While I'm not medically qualified to comment on your particular situation, I wanted to reply that the trust has posted some guidance on getting pregnant with IVF: https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/trying-to-conceive/ (Assisted Conception). In 2010, the percentage of IVF treatments that resulted in a live birth (the success rate) was:

32.2% for women under 35
27.7% for women aged 35-37
20.8% for women aged 38-39
13.6% for women aged 40-42
5% for women aged 43-44
1.9% for women aged over 44

I'm certain others will be able to provide their own stories to provide additional information. Please know that we are here for you throughout your journey, and these boards are a safe space for you.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LC609

Post by LC609 »

Hello Strying4

I am new to the forum and was about to post a similar thread when I saw yours.

I had my second ectopic pregnancy in Dec 2019. My first was in June 2018 and was treated with methotrexate. The second ectopic was an ovarian-I have lost an ovary, tube and part of my bowel for good measure.

The doctors believe that I developed endometriosis after my son was born-I definitely didn't have it before then (had a v long cesarean with no sign of it)!- and this may be the cause of the subsequent ectopics. I have also had two failed IVF transfers and an early miscarriage.

I am waiting to start private IVF as we have one NHS IVF child already but I was quite worried about going down the natural route anyhow as I am now approx 30-40% risk of a third ectopic and all is hanging on the one ovary that I have left. I am also a bit scared of my own mortality after two terrifying experiences and not sure my courage is up to it yet :-)

We felt that the best way to proceed was to pay for treatment and then if that doesn't work, to go natural and run the risk of having another ectopic and the consequences associated with it. It is obviously a lot of money and there is no guarantee that it will work but I want to know that I have explored all options. Time is also not on my side so am throwing everything at it!

It is a horrible situation-I feel like very time I open the Daily Mail website or social media, there are babies all over it and I am a failure but I believe 100% that I have another one left in me somewhere-dare to dream and good luck x

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi LC609

I have had 2x ectopics & 1x miscarriage in between.
1st ectopic was treated in Jan 2019, miscarriage happened in July 2019 & 2nd ectopic was April 2020.
Before my 2nd ectopic i has been referred for fertility treatment because of the amount of time we had been trying & our age.
The centres were closed because of COVID so not had an appointment yet but everything I’ve read says there is a risk for ectopic in IVF aswell which scares me so much.
I noticed you said you had IVF already so wondered if this was something they highlighted?

TIA x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sanwars2206,
It is natural to be worried after everything you have been through. Sadly even with IVF there is the risk of ectopic pregnancy and as you have suffered the condition twice there is sadly an increased risk. However it is important to remember that help is available and your doctors should book you in for an early scan at around six weeks to check that the embryo is in the right place. I am not sure where you are located but if you are in the UK you can also contact your local Early Pregnancy Unit direct and self refer for an early scan. This can also give you peace of mind that you have the care available should you need some reassurance.
More information on IVF can be found here-
https://www.hfea.gov.uk/treatments/expl ... ation-ivf/

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LC609

Post by LC609 »

Hi Sanwars2206

Sorry for my late reply!

We had IVF before I developed endometriosis and had the subsequent ectopics but I do recall them explaining that it was a risk due to the stimulation of the reproductive system-I can't remember details as it was 5 years ago and my brain has definitely gone a bit mushy since then!

When I had my hospital debrief after the last ectopic, I asked the consultant what she thought was the best chance/safest option of trying again (try naturally or go private). She explained that with IVF, as Karen says below, there is still a risk due to the previous ectopics and in my case, endometriosis, advanced age and previous IVF. We are waiting on our first clinic consultation now and hoping to gain a bit more knowledge.

From my point of view, I would rather proceed with IVF as I feel the embryo maybe has a better chance of being placed correctly (I have no medical knowledge so this may not be true) in the womb but also because I only have the one ovary left and want to preserve that as best I can rather than run the risk of another ovarian ectopic. If that fails, then I still have an option left to try naturally. I also think that for me, IVF is less stressful than worrying where it has implanted and the possibility of another ectopic but this may not be the case for others.

I will post an update once I have had the consultation xxx

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi LC609

Thanks for your reply.
I hope you get your appointment soon my initial appointment should have been in April & still not heard anything but I’m not chasing, I don’t feel ready either.

I understand your thought process, it is similar to mine.
With already having 2 ectopics you just want the least risky. It’s such a hard internal battle, I don’t have any children so the desire to have children is there but the self preservation also kicks in aswell - time will tell.

Good luck!

LC609

Post by LC609 »

Hi Sanwars2206

I had my initial consultation via telephone on Friday and am due in next week for my AMH test to decide whether it is worthwhile to go ahead with treatment and what IVF drug prescription would be if so. The consultant advised that there was still a risk of an ectopic as the embryo is fired out of the cannula at 600mph (I couldn't believe this, I thought they just placed it gently and it stayed put-so naive!!!!) so it can move from the planned location.

I am also going to have round of drugs to simulate menopause/stop my periods to stop more ectopic tissue building up before I start treatment to improve my chances. Interestingly, the consultant did say that IVF after ectopic tube loss is sometimes more straight forward as there are less places for the embryo to move to that could potentially be problematic-every cloud and all that!

So long as the AMH score is decent enough to make the cost and process worthwhile, am definitely going to go for it!

Good luck to you too xxx

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi LC609

Great news you had your appointment!

I had methotrexate before surgery so not sure whether I still have to wait 3 months even if I did have an appointment.

Some days I feel like phoning to see where I am in the queue others I cudnt possibly go through with anything else.

Good luck with it all fingers crossed x