By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Miscarriage After Ectopic-Success stories needed!

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
pammy3

Miscarriage After Ectopic-Success stories needed!

Post by pammy3 »

I've just had a miscarriage after 5 weeks, first pregnancy after ectopic last year (dealt with by expectant management)

It's so early & hcg was so low that won't know if was another ectopic. I'm so devastated as these are my only two pregnancies and I'm now concerned I won't ever reach full term.

I'm looking for advice where to go next. Are there any tests I could get done to investigate further? I had the dye test last year which said my tubes were open and patent but I can't help feeling there's a problem, especially with the left tube the ectopic was in. I still get a niggly pain there all the time.

Any advice and or success stories after miscarriages greatly appreciated!

Sanwars2206

Re: Miscarriage After Ectopic-Success stories needed!

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi pammy3

I can’t share a successful story I’m afraid but was curious as to how/why u had the dye test?
Are you in the uk?
Was this something u had to ask for or was it offered?

I’m asking as I haven’t had any tests & don’t no what/if I should & how I go about this.

Thanks

marmoannie

Post by marmoannie »

My story is similar. Expectantly managed ectopic and miscarriage at 5 weeks. I did have my daughter between these. I had a short luteal phase so looked into my progesterone before having her. Pooled progesterone tests etc. Did acupuncture for three months too. Fell pregnant naturally and had zero problems. See a Gyno. Do your research to find a good one. Best of luck and don’t lose hope. Easier said than done I know.
In relation to my miscarriage after her. It wasn’t planned so my luteal phase was completely out of whack. I’m pregnant again now so hoping I’ve managed to correct it. But it’s so early I won’t know yet.

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

Thanks for this, gave me a bit of hope!

Are you UK or US based? I ask as in the Uk we don't have assigned gynaecologists as you seem to have in the states. I am enquiring further with my Doctor today but they don't usually do tests til the third miscarriage. My other option is to go private which will cost thousands. But I'm going to try all areas.

Thank you for the advice
x

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

Hi Sanswars-in regards to the dye test, my first ectopic started out quite dramatically as my hcg level was over 5000 so initally I was prepped for emergency surgery. Due to a delay they noticed my hcg dropping so much they then offered methotrexate then eventually agreed on expectant management.

It took weeks and afterwards I was offered a scan to make sure was all clear and they found a mass still in my left tube so that's when they suggested the dye test. I actually ended up getting done privately in the end because the wait was so long here in the UK on the NHS. It was a great test to do though as the dye went through and showed no mass anymore or blockage and they counted my follicles and I had a good amount which was reassuring.

Obviously I have gone onto miscarry, which is unfortunate but if tubes are the issue and concern I would recommend it.

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi Pammy3

Thanks for that.
I have had 2 ectopics as well & lost my left tube.
So with only one left & being childless any reassurance would be good.
Did u get referred for a private test or did u arrange it yourself?
I have no idea how to go the private route but think this might be necessary to help me move forward as I won’t be seen by the fertility clinic until end of this year at the earliest.

Thanks

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

I went private as at the time the waiting list was months and I needed reassurance. It was well worth it, although I'm still not satisfied after just having 2nd miscarriage.

I'm now looking into what investigations I can have now. It's really hard to know where to start/what clinic to use! The reason I ended up with the clinic I used for the Hycosy was that I couldn't find that many clinics that did them and was most reasonable.

Are you UK based? I could do some guidance too, it's a minefield! And so expensive. Let me know how you get on-would happilly pass details on if uK based?

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi Pammy3

Yes I’m in the U.K. m, North West.
Any advice would be great with regards to test. I think private might be the only way forward with the wait times for the NHS at the minute.

I had been referred in March to a fertility clinic but they have advised it’ll b unlikely I’ll even have a 1st visit/phone call before next year.
I’m 36 so time not on my side ☹️

marmoannie

Post by marmoannie »

Hi. I’m actually in Australia. I’m not sure if they do it under the NHS. But I did ovulation tracking which was pathologist led. Just gives you an idea on what your hormones are at.

Jen1111

Post by Jen1111 »

Hi pammy3, your experience sounds extremely similar to mine. Ectopic diagnosed in March this year, a month after I had assumed I had a miscarriage at 5.5 weeks. I still had a positive pregnancy test and my hcg came back as 330. I wasn’t in any pain so the doctors recommended expectant management and it took until mid-May to return to zero. It was the most frustrating and exhausting experience. I got pregnant again in July but miscarried at 5.5 weeks (my hcg levels returned to normal within 3 days so it’s hard to know whether it was another ectopic or not). My GP says it’s just bad luck but I can’t help thinking it’s something more - either something structurally wrong with implantation or biochemically something is going on. I’d be so interested to share experiences to get to the bottom of this! xxx

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

Hi Jen,

Thanks for sharing this, sorry not been on here for a while. I haven't fallen pregnant since last miscarriage, periods still seem a little off-I was like clockwork before, but they always come a few days early now. I've been doing ovulation tests and get the smiley faces but we'll see.

Dr's said same to me, but it's hard to believe isn't it? You read such conflicting advice and I still get pain when I ovulate & menstruate down the same side the ectopic was. Really wish I knew where to go next to find out more? If you get anywhere please do share! It's hard to find anyone who's been through ectopics, although I do know a lot of women who've had miscarriages.

Also had two friends who had no interest in having children get pregnant immediately on first try. There must be something in that! Seems like when you want it it doesn't happen!

All the best xx

Vicks8_2

Post by Vicks8_2 »

Hello

I had an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in the loss of my left Fallopian tube in 2017. I was absolutely devastated and truly thought it was the end. I remember waking up from the operation, I started crying & the surgeon came over to me. He said ‘you know you still have a good chance of getting pregnant with one tube?’ I just didn’t believe him and felt It was hopeless.

Fast forward one year & I fell pregnant again. I was very aware of every ache & pain at the ectopic site and the other side too. I was absolutely convinced I was having another ectopic & literally obsessed over it. Fortunately I was offered a reassurance scan early on & I had a small cyst on the ovary - normal apparently. Pregnancy all looked fine. Sadly I miscarried a little while later and again I felt utterly devastated- this was 2018.

Fast forward to today and I now have a healthy 7 month old baby boy having fallen pregnant naturally in 2019 1 year after the miscarriage. I promised myself that if I ever had a positive story I would share it on here because I desperately searched here during my anxious moments.

I know how hard it is when you go through this. The uncertainty & the what ifs but keep thinking positive - if it happened for me it can happen for you. I did go private to have a general fertility health check & I do think that helped me mentally as it came back all fine. It is not impossible. And the percentages are often posted on this site & I remember seeing them & feeling my chances were not as bleak as I first thought! Stay strong!!!!!!!
V x

Jen1111

Post by Jen1111 »

Hi Vicks8_2,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I’m very much in the depths of despair at the moment, wondering whether it will ever happen. Your story does give me hope, which is especially needed during the darker days.

Pammy3 - thanks so much for your reply. It’s useful to know that there are other people experiencing something similar. I’m convinced this is not the end of our respective stories. I have pushed quite hard for further investigations privately, and the consultant has recommended a laparoscopy to investigate the cause of the pain. I have an appointment on Monday to discuss it, so fingers crossed it provides some answers (although no idea when it can be scheduled due to Covid!).

I have some good days and some bad ones. Luckily I think that I generally have a positive outlook in life, but the slightest thing can cause me to just break down in tears and go to a very dark place temporarily. I hate feeling like this. I just want to move on to the next stage of my life. It’s so frustrating xxx

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

Oh Jen, I know exactly how you feel. I hope this forum makes you feel less alone.

I find I only come on here when I'm at my lowest ebb and it helps make me feel better. So thank you for sharing and also to Vicks8_2, you have no idea how much those positive stories help!

I am the same in that I don't want it to take over my life as everyone says when you stop trying it happens. But that just seems so impossible now as I'm so aware of my cycle and now experienced the feeling of initially being pregnant so know what to look for!

I've had several friends fall pregnant first time recently and it's hard isn't it. I need to speak to my Dr and/or fertility clinic as I'm not getting pregnant and even if I do, who knows if it'll carry to full term.

Jen1111

Post by Jen1111 »

Hi pammy3, yes this forum does make me feel much less alone. I hope it does the same for you, and I hope you’re ok. It’s all so exhausting isn’t it.

So I do have a bit of an update - I found out I am pregnant on Sunday (for the third time this year). I was due to have the laparoscopy on Friday so I have had to cancel that. Obviously I’m pleased to have a positive test, but I’m completely convinced that the same thing will happen as the last two times (start bleeding at 5.5 weeks). I’m just waiting for it to happen. I really hope that all doesn’t come across as insensitive to yours or anyone’s situation, but I am not feeling very hopeful at all that this one will turn out differently.
I have certainly found that getting a date for a laparoscopy has helped my mental state a lot recently. It just feels like progress I guess. Hopefully I can still have that done if this one isn’t successful.
I think Baby Loss Awareness Week has made me so aware of other people’s fertility journeys. I think lots of people make it in the end but the rollercoaster of emotions is just so awful. I much prefer a drama-free existence!
I know how you feel about friends getting pregnant so easily. My best friend is due to give birth any day (it would have been roughly the same date as my first due date). I’m bracing myself for that, as I know I’m going to find it difficult.
I’m always here if you want a rant or want to discuss what doctors have said etc. Feel free to private message me. Lots of love xxxx

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

Hi all

This may or may not help but I thought I should share my experiences.

My first pregnancy was a pregnancy of unknown location. I was devastated! I ended up bleeding quite heavily and I never knew if it was a miscarriage or an ectopic. I then had an amazing little boy immediately after. It was terrifying and I was so stressed for the whole pregnancy.

I’ve just had a confirmed ectopic aswell. So now my third pregnancy isn’t going to end happily like my second. But the reason I’m writing is because you may well just have had terrible luck. I don’t know if that helps or not but I’ve had three pregnancies and one was ok.

It’s such a difficult time because everything feels so uncertain and when you want a baby you want it so badly so it’s unbearable. But there is hope! My best mate had 5 miscarriages and then a beautiful little girl.

Thinking of you all and wishing you healthy happy babies x

Jen1111

Post by Jen1111 »

Thank you so much for this, it is so so helpful to know that others have gone on to have successful pregnancies!
In some ways, I would be ok with it all if I knew it would just turn out ok in the end. And I am still hopeful.
I am so sorry that you are going through an ectopic now. It’s such an awful thing to have to deal with, all the uncertainty of the treatment plan and whether it is working or not. I don’t think anyone or anything really prepares you for an ectopic, does it? Sending lots of love, I hope you’re doing ok. Be kind to yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal physically and emotionally xxxx

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

I’m glad I could help with a little positivity. I developed crippling OCD when pregnant with my son because I was totally convinced I would loose him. I think back to all the hours I spent terrified and then he was totally fine. I remember thinking I would never carry a baby successfully. And now I think I never will again but I think that’s our brains trying to process it.

You hit the nail on the head re uncertainty. I had the methotrexate on Saturday and I’ve not really had any abdominal pain or bleeding like they said I would and so I’m really worried it’s not working And feeling very anxious. It’s such a horrid waiting game.

I wish you all the best with your pregnancy. Do whatever you can to keep yourself strong x

pammy3

Post by pammy3 »

So sorry to hear of your ectopic, it's so awful. But thank you for sharing your story of success, you're right it's absolutely encouraging.

I'm still struggling to get pregnant again, and patience has never been a strong point of mine, so mentally finding it so draining. The age factor is so cruel as well. I was 36 when I first fell pregnant and to think I'm now 38 and still haven't successfully conceived is gut wrenching at times. Today is a bad day as my body just tricked me into thining my body was definitely pregnant when it isn't (hence why I find myself back on here for solace and support!), but I know in a few days I'll feel better and more hopeful to try again.

These success stories really do help, it's quite the battle!

Also for others in same position as me, I've now spoken to my Dr and had blood tests so waiting to see if any imbalances/issues. My Dr was actually very helpful which was also encouraging. So fingers crossed can make some progress

Xx