By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Experiences after Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ktbe27

Experiences after Methotrexate

Post by Ktbe27 »

Hi
I was given Methotrexate on Thursday evening and I’m wondering what to expect with regards to side effects. In the first day or so, I’ve not really felt much other than a little bit of abdominal pain and feeling a little tired. Last night (Friday) I started to get a little more abdominal pain but have still been able to manage without paracetamol. Today the pain (similar to period cramp) is only on one side and I’m feeling a little niggle in my shoulder on the same side. I’m finding it really difficult to judge whether I should be more concerned over the pain and symptoms I’m feeling or whether this is all part of the side effects. I would appreciate if others could share the experiences of the first few days with Methotrexate.
Thanks

Bht

Re: Experiences after Methotrexate

Post by Bht »

Hi Ktbe27, I had similar pain for the first few days after methotrexate and managed without paracetamol as I wanted to be super aware if the pain increased. I didn’t have the shoulder niggles (had injection 5 weeks ago). My pain increased around 5 days after injection and this was mainly on my right side and that’s when I bled a bit heavier too and passed some clots. I had to have a second injection due to hcg not coming down enough but my levels were high to begin with. The pain for me is still mainly on the side of the ectopic. I’ve been very tired since having the injection so my advice is take it easy but if your concerned it wouldn’t hurt getting in touch with the epu for advice x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ktbe27,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I too was treated with methotrexate and found my bleeding and pain worsened about 7 days after the injection. Abdominal pain is normal however if it is worsening or concerning you we would always advise you seek medical advice. If you haven't been given the number of your local EPU, you can always contact your GP, local out of hours provider or A&E if it is severe.
We have more information on methotrexate injection and side effects here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

Please be kind to yourself and do not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise whilst your levels are reducing and we also advise that you should stop taking any vitamins, minerals or other medicines unless you have been told by the doctors treating you to continue with them, as some medicines interfere with the effects of methotrexate. It is particularly important that you do not take any folic acid supplements until your doctors are sure that the drug has worked.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Alia187

Post by Alia187 »

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has had any side effects from the methroxate injection. I stared developing mouth ulcers and rashes on skin. Is this normal and wonder if anyone experienced the same thing?

Phoebe23

Post by Phoebe23 »

Hi

I had methotrexate a year ago for an ectopic. I don’t remember any ulcers or rashes but have no idea if that is a side effect.

What I do remember was mild abdominal pain, bleeding with mostly tiny clots and exhaustion. The exhaustion was particularly overwhelming and on reflection I think I went back slightly too early to work because I struggled to get through the day.

To answer an earlier post I didn’t have any shoulder pain throughout.

Hope the above helps.

Take care of yourselves xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Alia187,

I have taken this from our website and I hope you find it useful. A sore mouth is a side effect and this may include ulcers

The most common side effects of Methotrexate are:
– cramping abdominal (tummy) pain is the most common side effect, and it usually occurs during the first 2 to 3 days of treatment. Because abdominal pain is also a sign of a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, report any abdominal pain to your health professional;
– fatigue – Many people feel very tired and are shocked by the sheer exhaustion that they encounter during treatment;
– vaginal bleeding or spotting;
– nausea, vomiting, and indigestion;
– light-headedness or dizziness – Again, because this is also a sign of a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, please report it to your health professional;
– A numb or sore bottom from the injection.

Other rarer side effects from Methotrexate treatment for ectopic pregnancy, include:
– Skin sensitivity to sunlight.
– Inflammation of the membrane covering the eye.
– Sore mouth and throat.
– Temporary hair loss.
– Severe low blood counts (bone marrow suppression).
– Inflammation of the lung (pneumonitis).

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team