By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Post methotrexate experiences please

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
mowakasha

Post methotrexate experiences please

Post by mowakasha »

Hi all

I’m just looking for some advice really. It was confirmed that I had an ectopic last Monday so 9 days ago. I had methotrexate on Saturday and will have my bloods done on day 7 (Friday) to see if they have dropped by 15%. I’m just looking for a bit of advice as they said I would have bleeding and some abdominal pain and I’ve barely had any pain and I’ve bled a tiny bit this morning. I can’t work out if I’m lucky or whether it may not be working. Obviously it’s such a miserable and concerning time and I have anxiety anyway so I’m trying to not overthink everything but generally that’s the way I work so I thought I’d reach out to hear others experiences.

If you’re reading this then I’m sorry because you have also experienced an ectopic and it’s really hard!

mowakasha

Re: Post methotrexate experiences please

Post by mowakasha »

Anyone got advice?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar »

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about what your going through. I can't really offer advice as I'm only 2 days post Methotrexate.
But I'm yet to have any bleeding, and only mild cramping, however I was having pain prior to the injection.

I have been feeling extremely nauseated which I'm not sure is normal.
From what I've read symptoms can be different for everyone which isn't really helpful when you need reassuring.
I hope everything goes well with your next hgc

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

I’m sorry to hear of your loss too. My next hcg’s are tomorrow so will see what’s what. I felt sick roo but on the information sheet I got it said that was a side effect. Good luck with everything x

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Just wondered how you got on with your day 7 results @mowakasha? I have my day 7 blood test tomorrow and am in a similar position to you - not too much action just some mild cramping and nausea, and pink spotting. Also nervous of needing a second dose... Thanks, and sorry you're going through this too, it's definitely hard not to over think (especially because you have to be super aware of changes in symptoms!)

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

Hi!

I actually did have to have a second dose but then ended up with emergency surgery yesterday because I was in a lot of pain and it was actually because my tube was about to rupture. BUT they did say to me some people don’t really get much pain or bleeding so it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not working. My biggest piece of advice to you is to trust your body and do whatever feels right. This won’t last forever and soon you’ll know what’s what.

I hope yours have dropped. I’ll be thinking of you x

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Oh gosh you poor thing, I hope you heal up soon. Thanks for letting me know too 😊

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

Did you get your results?

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

You're so sweet to remember - yes, unfortunately they've not dropped enough and I had a second dose this afternoon. Really hoping it does the trick! Back to waiting for day 4 results (again).

mowakasha

Post by mowakasha »

Everything crossed for you x

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

I just had my Day 4 results post second methotrexate dose - hcg has dropped really well, by more than 50%! I'm so pleased and hopeful that this will continue and I'll be down to zero soon.
I will say that the second dose has been tougher on my body (more pain and bleeding than first time around) although I tried to think of that as a sign it was working - which it has.

Withlovesaz

Post by Withlovesaz »

Hi, so happy your results came back with a drop. Hopefully it continues this way and you’re back to 0 in no time. I just wanted to ask, if you have a second dose of methotrexate, does the time increase to 6 months before you can TTC again?

I have had one dose of MTX and my day 4 results showed a slight rise which I was told can happen. Nervous about my day 7 results and really hoping I don’t need second dose!

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Hello, I had my second dose and asked this question, the doctors assured me that it remains as 3 months before you can TTC from your last dose. I've seen on other posts on here that the ectopic Trust recommends taking folic acid supplements for 3 months from when your hcg level reaches zero, which is what I intend to do. It can take a few weeks to reach zero so will be more like 4 months waiting, but I wouldn't want to risk it personally.
My levels have continued to drop after the second dose, I'm now on weekly checkups for the next 3 weeks (at least) - they did say that the drop can slow down once you're under 100. FYI my day 4 rise after my first dose was of over 200, not sure if that's similar to what you experienced?

BettyAnne

Post by BettyAnne »

Hi ladies,

I'm sorry that you had to go through this. Thinking of you all <3

I only had one dose of methotrexate, but it took almost 60 days for me to reach zero. My day 4 results were +400 to 2100 before they dropped to 1536 on day 7 (My story is here if it helps: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41734).

I hope that you are not waiting as long as I was to reach zero. I'm currently around 2 weeks off the 3-month waiting period and I started taking folic again about 3-ish weeks ago when I hit zero. We're hoping to get pregnant again soon, but I'll listen to my body.

Good luck with your levels dropping <3

Withlovesaz

Post by Withlovesaz »

Hi, thank you for your response! Yes I thought it would be 3 months from the last injection dose but then saw some websites state it extends to 6 months but wasn’t sure about the sources that information was from.

My hCG was 202 before injection, my day 4 bloods showed it has risen to 248. Got my day 7 bloods tomorrow and really nervous!

Yes I’ve read the same and would also start the 12 weeks after hCG returns to 0 rather than from date of injection.

Just hoping and praying this experience hasn’t left any damage to the tube :(

Hope everything goes well for you! x

Withlovesaz

Post by Withlovesaz »

Thank you @BettyAnne!

I’m so glad it is over for you now and you can focus on getting your health and body back to normal and eventually getting pregnant again!
Yes I’m hoping it doesn’t take long but it’s out of my control I guess. Just trying to stay positive.

Fingers crossed and all the best!

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Good luck for your Day 7 results @Withlovesaz - hope it is coming down for you.

@bettyanne gosh that's a long time - so glad you're through it now though and lots of luck trying to conceive this time 😊

BettyAnne

Post by BettyAnne »

Thank you @Withlovesaz and @Ks210!

Yes it did take a while, I think most woman don't take as long as me but I'm a bit of a procrastinator so not surprised my body is also ha :) It got there in the end and that's the most important thing.

Best of luck with your results @Withlovesaz <3

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Just updating in case it's useful for others - my day 14 after second dose of methotrexate hcg level was 129. (highest it got to was 1300 on day 4 after my first dose). So seems to be falling well. I had more pain and bleeding on day 12 so they did a scan and all looks clear, including the cyst that had been nearly 5cm is now totally gone. Ectopic not visible anymore.

Seems to be all going well, I'm hopeful I'll be down to zero in the next week or two. I hope everyone else is doing OK and sending good vibes to you all! X