By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My story so far

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
KimD

My story so far

Post by KimD »

Sorry for the long message but I wanted to speak to others who have been through similar experiences.

Just over 6 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant but a few days later I started bleeding. I went for a blood test but my HCG levels were only 51 which is far from normal for 4/5 weeks pregnant. Further blood tests later over a period of two weeks, the levels only just reached 99.

I was sent for a scan at the hospital but showed there was no evidence of pregnancy but more blood tests later show my pregnancy hormone levels were still rising, they were at 111.

I had another scan and bloods done 12 days later where they confirmed it’s an Ectopic pregnancy in my left tube and initially I was faced with either surgery or the methotrexate.

However, once they got my blood results back my HCG levels had reduced from 111 to 39 so it looks like it might be ending naturally. Went for more bloods today (1 week later) and they are at 28. Due for my 7th blood test next week and just praying for them to be 0 otherwise if it hasn’t dropped by 50% I’m to see a consultant and potentially be scanned again.

They also found a 3-4cm cyst on my right side which wasn’t picked up on the first scan so have to have that checked out again in a couple of months.

Just wondering if anyone else had a slow decrease in HCG levels and the pregnancy ended naturally without further treatment?

This has been going on for weeks and I feel like this is never going to end :(

Lyn_K

Re: My story so far

Post by Lyn_K »

Hi KimD,

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy last March and it was also in my left tube. It was found pretty early on and the only symptom I had by at that time was some weird sensation/needle pain on my left groin which the nurse initially attributed to a cyst she found in the left tube. However, because my HCG did not rise as expected, the consultant did the scan herself and concluded that it was an ectopic pregnancy in the left tube.

Initially, she suggested expectant management (just wait and hope it'll resolve by itself). But because I had a lot of pain leading to a night in hospital, she suggested surgery. I refused because my HCG went down from 40 to 19. It never went above 40 so it didn't make sense to me to put my body into so much stress especially if there are clear signs of my body dealing with it on its own. So I waited for about a week or so and my level finally went under 1.

It did feel like it was never ending. It got to the point that I became scared of needles and would have small panic attacks every time I'd see a nurse with a needle. And I work in a hospital so... But I got there in the end.

I am no doctor but it does look like your body is dealing with it so you're on the right path. I know it may feel like it's dragging forever but take that time to take care of yourself, mind and body. And if you need any support, I'll be around! x