By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant Management

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sophs925

Expectant Management

Post by Sophs925 »

I had an IVF miscarriage in early July and miraculously found out we fell pregnant just weeks later. (It’s now 10th august) My clinic told me to get my HCG bloods done and my levels aren’t rising properly… They were 284, 311, 314 over the space of 6 days.
I had a scan at my EPU and was told it was too early to see anything but they sent me for an appointment with a senior consultant at the hospital. I had another scan 2 days later and there is now a gestational sac in my womb however they think this could be a pseudo sac. They can’t find the pregnancy anywhere but there is some blood in my abdomen and free fluid… I also have a cyst in my ovary.
They’ve offered my the injection or watch and wait taking bloods every week. I’ve opted for the latter as I don’t feel comfortable with it not being a confirmed ectopic.
I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing!?
They can’t really date my pregnancy due to the miscarriage is it was quite drawn out… is there any chance that it could just be a miscarriage waiting to happen again rather than ectopic? I’m praying my body will know what to do. I have no pain or bleeding, just intermittent back ache and flank ache but I had a UTI a couple of weeks ago 🤷‍♀️

EPT Host 20

Re: Expectant Management

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sophs,
I am so sorry to hear of your losses, to experience one loss is difficult, to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.

When diagnosing an ectopic pregnancy, doctors use a combination of transvaginal ultrasound scanning and blood tests to check HCG levels. Usually scans take place at around six weeks gestation as there is a reasonable chance of seeing an embryo at around this time. If scans are inconclusive, doctors would carry out a series of blood tests to check hCG levels to see if the numbers are rising as expected. However, in isolation, hCG tests only provide a part of the picture - declining levels indicate that a pregnancy has ended and will be miscarried. It can also possibly indicate an ectopic pregnancy that is "self-resolving". Also hCG levels rising by less than 66% over 48 hours means it is likely (but not certain) that it is ectopic. If levels rise normally, they suggest the pregnancy is implanted in the uterus. You may see from this that hCG levels only indicate certain possibilities and are not in themselves a definitive guide. A positive identification of an implanted embryo on a scan is usually needed before a final diagnosis/certainty that the pregnancy has implanted in the uterus.I

Unfortunately I am not medically trained and I am sorry that I cannot be more precise but it is good that you are being closely monitored and you will get more information with your next blood tests.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sophs925

Post by Sophs925 »

Thankyou for your message Karen x
The doctor has said I won’t be having anymore scans, only bloods from here. I don’t feel very happy about this as now the gestational sac has appeared, to me there is a chance that is might be trying to form in the right place. Especially now I have read that pseudo sacs are quite rare…
I realise that because of my slow rising HcG levels it won’t be a viable pregnancy but I do feel that I need this confirmed. I would need to have 3 miscarriages for the NHS to do further testing for me and if this is marked down as an ectopic incorrectly it would prolong my issues.

richa0908

Post by richa0908 »

Hi! I hope everything is okay now.