By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Abee29

Periods after methotrexate

Post by Abee29 »

Hello
I was treated for suspected ectopic (nothing seen on the scan) 10 weeks ago. I was discharged after my bloods were back to normal almost 7 weeks ago. I still haven’t had my period. When am I likely to expect this? I keep feeling like it’s coming and then nothing

I only had some light bleeding at the time of suspected ectopic which continued until approx 1 week following the injection. Then nothing since

Any advice or others like this would be much appreciated. We are wanting to TTC again as soon as we are past the 3 months wait.

EPT Host 22

Re: Periods after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Abee29,

I'm so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

The first period can occur up to ten weeks after the ectopic pregnancy although it may not be like your normal menstrual period. It might be heavier or lighter and it may be more painful than expected. The period after that is usually more like your usual pattern. However, although there is no medical reason for it, women do very often report some irregularity in their cycle for several months after an ectopic pregnancy.

According to a study for women who had methotrexate treatment for an ectopic pregnancy in a Fallopian tube, periods generally return to normal after an average of 24 days (range of 24–38 days) from the pregnancy ending. If the first day of your last period was more than 42 days ago, make an appointment with your doctor to discuss the possible reasons for this. Your doctors may also discuss periods returning at a follow-up appointment.

We want you to know we are here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team