By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

What happens after surgery?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
blingbling79

What happens after surgery?

Post by blingbling79 »

Hi all,

Had my ectopic keyhole surgery 2nd March 2018. Got a few question in my mind.

1. Painkillers codeine & paracetamol was prescribed for 4 days. After this what happens when I'm still in discomfort? Do I go back to gp for more prescription?

2. I had light bleeding till last night and it stop. Today after each bowel movement I find some bleeding is this normal?

My story....

Thought I had period on the 7th Feb but it was light for 4-5 days. Then brown spotting for the rest of it. I took pregnancy test 16th Feb and was over the moon. See the gp 19th Feb was referred to epau due to brown spotting. Just before I found out I was pregnant I had been complaining about neck and shoulder aches for 3-4 weeks.
Scan on 27th Feb shows nothing in the womb however pregnancy test strong positive. Blood test taken to check hcg level and was told to fast after light lunch. No food or water till they call me with result. 4pm a call came apologetics they lost my blood. So return to hospital for another and went home to wait again for the result. 8pm for a call from Dr to come to hospital for overnight stay. The next morning consultant came to check on me , felt my tummy and told me I look to well to go for surgery. The plan was to come back 1st Mar for another blood test so we could compare the hcg level. Bear in mind it was at 1500. Thursday I had another blood test along with fasting and internal scan - nothing in the womb. A call came around 5pm to say I need to be admitted to hospital as my hcg level gone up to 1800. The same day snow hit the country. What should have taken 15min to the hospital, took up 3 hrs.
2nd March consultant came round felt my tummy. Still in dilemma to do op on me. He suggested another scan to double check. Nothing found in womb. Waited all day for surgery, at 4pm my turn came. The process with pre theatre staff was really reassuring and recovery nurses was excellent too.

It has been a roller coaster week for me and my husband but I'm on the road to recovery now. It could have been life threatening if the consultant Base on my outward appearance looking fine. I'm thankful for all the blood test and scan and the decision to take me into theatre that's why I'm still here today writing this.

All those who have gone through the same hope you will find some positives in your situation.

EPT Host 22

Re: What happens after surgery?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi blingbling79,

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and I am very sorry that you have had to go through this. These boards are filled with women and men who have similar experiences, myself included, and I will do my best to answer your questions.

The bleeding you may experience occurs after treatment is the body's response to falling hormone levels. Usually the bleeding after treatment lasts about a week and the begins to diminishes. Provided you are not soaking more than a pad an hour and you can manage the pain with over the counter pain relief then please try not to worry.

When you are completed with the painkillers from the hospital, you may take pain relief such as paracetamol. If the pain relief doesn't help, heavy bleeding occurs or you have an increased body temperature of more than 37°C, should seek get medical attention as soon as possible. You may consider keeping a pain diary noting when you experience the pain and where, its intensity and anything that helps like rest or pain relief (paracetamol, etc.)

With good wishes,

Michele

*******************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************