By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

travelling after ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
CCO123

travelling after ectopic

Post by CCO123 »

Hello,
I have recently been diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy.
We have had another missed miscarriage last October for which I had to have 2 surgeries as I became septic from retained product.
We weren't up for another try until this year but unfortunately ended up in an ectopic.
I was able to take the methotrexate when I was 5weeks and 6 days (last Monday) and fortunately my hcg levels have gone down pretty fast from 1300 when first going into A&E at 5weeks less a day to around 1100 when getting the shot to 201 today a week later after the injection.
I am looking forward to heal from this.
My husband and I have tickets booked for a long weekend next week. We booked them before we even knew about the pregnancy. It is my birthday too and the due date of our first and with this hapenning on top we could use some days away just to recover and forget and spend some time together.
However, I was wondering if anyone can advise about travelling while recovering from an ectopic. I have my EHIC card as we are going to Switzerland but I am still worried about my condition. I hope all will be ok and I won't need healthcare (is only for a few days) but don't really know what I should do, if I need a special insurance, let the airline know or anything like that.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

EPT Host 20

Re: travelling after ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear CCO123,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses,
I completely understand your desire to go for your holiday however occasionally, an ectopic pregnancy can rupture despite low hCG levels. I would there advise that you do not travel until you have been discharged from the early pregnancy unit managing your care.

I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process.

If you do decide to travel, I must advise you to inform your travel insurance prior to travel as if you need treatment abroad but haven't informed them, it may invalidate your insurance policy.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

CCO123

Re: travelling after ectopic

Post by CCO123 »

Thank you for the advice. It was very welcomed and appreciated.
I ended up travelling anyway as felt ok and as if all has passed anyway with my bleeding.
I did have a good insurance in place.
The next day after returning bloods confirmed my hcg at 9 so negative. It was a bit harsh as it was exactly my due date and instead of my baby I had the news I am not pregnant anymore...
Looking for the future now and trying to get my mind of ttc as we are not allowed for at least 3 months after metothrexate. Although to be fair I don't know if that is supposed to be 3cycles or 3months (2cycles essentially)
Thank you,
All the best.