By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My experience with miscarriage that later became ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Purple88

My experience with miscarriage that later became ectopic

Post by Purple88 »

At 8 weeks, following severe pain and passing of a large clot, I had to go to A&E where my bloods were taken. The doctor told me that “I knew what was going on”. Of course I didn’t as I didn’t want to believe I wasn’t pregnant so this was quite literally the last thing I wanted to hear. My hormone levels were very high but I didn’t think anything of that nor did I understand the relevance until much later on. I was referred to GAU the same day where I was examined and booked in for an ultrasound 3 days later. It was a long wait. I think I was too optimistic.

At the ultrasound they couldn’t find anything in the uterus and told me I had had a miscarriage. Another doctor came in and said “there’s no two ways about it.. you have had a miscarriage”. I was examined and told to ring back 3 weeks later if I was still testing positive on a pregnancy test.

Three weeks later I was still testing positive.

I couldn’t go to GAU until it was exactly three weeks. I waited all day at GAU in the hospital to be seen. I was getting really worried. A third doctor called me aside and told me my hormone levels had more than doubled in that time and they needed to do another scan.

A further scan showed a small 2-3cm shape in line with my left ovary. I was told I had a pregnancy in an unknown location- ectopic pregnancy.

A fourth doctor told me a blood test should have been done 48 hours after I first attended A&E. At 11 weeks I had to have the methotrexate injection.

Has anybody ever been told it’s a miscarriage and then weeks later an ectopic? I feel like I experienced the painful experience twice.
Also if I had an ectopic why did I pass a clot and did I therefore have both a miscarriage and a ectopic? Very confused.

Thankfully the methotrexate has worked and I am moving on but still have questions.

EPT Host 20

Re: My experience with miscarriage that later became ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Purple,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and the confusing time you have had.
With regards to your bleeding, the clots can be normal in ectopic pregnancy too.
The bleeding that follows an ectopic pregnancy, particularly when treated with methotrexate, can be very heavy and clotty and result in the passing of what we call a decidual cast. This decidual cast can cause confusion and worry and it can often be mistaken for the tissue of their baby.

The lining of the uterus when we are pregnant, other than that which is taken up by the placenta, is called the decidua. The appearance of the normal lining of the uterus by the presence and action of progesterone (hormone that prepares the uterus for a fertilised egg) becomes decidualised. When an area of the decidua is shed we call it a decidual cast. It is thought to occur as a result of the lack of stability of the integrity of the lining and this lack of stability is because the hormones aren’t functioning properly in an ectopic pregnancy.

The sudden drop in hormones can cause the material inside the uterus to be shed in layers and the material that is passed can be grey, pink or white as well as appear like a clot or dark or frank red blood.

Unfortunately as we do not have your medical records, it is difficult to advise on the advice you were given. If you have concerns I would recommend contacting the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) within your local hospital who will be able to review your medical notes and discuss any concerns and questions you have.

I am glad to hear the treatment you have had is working now. Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need.
Sending much love,
Karen x

Purple88

Post by Purple88 »

Thank you Karen, that’s so kind x

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

This happened to me.

I was 5 and a half weeks pregnant, I had cramping, gas, then what I thought was trapped wind in my side, felt like I was going to vomit, then spotted. Side pain and spotting, I went to A and E, told them I think it’s ectopic, waited 6 hours, was not treated urgently, was left in the waiting area in pain, was told it was unlikely etopic. Was admitted but wasn’t for the pregnancy, in the blood test they found heavy periods made me anaemic.

They did scan me, saw no baby, took bloods, HCG was 7900, few days later they were 2000, I was told I am miscarrying, told to come back in around 2 weeks. At 6 weeks I started bleed and contraction pain. Went back in 2 weeks, took bloods, went home, got call, told, my HCG had doubled, to 4000, they think it’s etopic, baby in my side / tube where I said weeks before.

So went back in, got methotrexate injection, that was 3 weeks ago. That was rough the side affects. I’m still bleeding, 4 and a half weeks bleeding and still on and off pain. I go in tomorrow for my weekly HCG blood test. It was 608 last time.

So nice to see someone why had the same experience as me.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

Before the methotrexate injection when I was told it was a miscarriage, I naturally passed blood, clots and a placenta. After the injection and being told it’s etopic I’ve only passed blood. I don’t know how it works. If some of the fetal tissue stayed in my tube after some came away prior to the injection and the injection has helped to pass it all.

I know this is an old post.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Chaoticblues,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Bleeding after methotrexate can be different than that of miscarriage and even different than that following surgery or expectant management. Some women will not bleed at all following methotrexate, until the next period. I hope this helps.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team