By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Day 7 post MXT HCG results

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
skyflyer17

Day 7 post MXT HCG results

Post by skyflyer17 »

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with an ectopic in my left tube last Sunday after 2 weeks of being told I had a PUL.

I am currently day 8 post MTX, I’ve just rung for the results from yesterday’s bloods and they haven’t quite made the 15% drop (they had gone up unsurprisingly on day 4). They are currently sat around 1100.

A doctor is reviewing them, I’m just wondering if anyone had any experience of this? I’d rather they allow a bit more time before considering a second dose as we do want to try again after 3 months and I know a second dose delays it to 6. In now on week 4 of this saga and my patience is beginning to dwindle 😔. This is my first pregnancy and it’s been rather traumatic!

All the best

Sx

EPT Host 20

Re: Day 7 post MXT HCG results

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Skyflyer,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I would discuss your results with your medical team. If the levels aren't reducing as quickly as they would like, a second dose does not mean that you have to wait 6 months before trying to conceive again. Some doctors (mistakenly) think that because they have administered a second dose of Methotrexate that that they must also double the recovery time for the body. However, even in a second dose of Methotrexate, the dosage is still much lower than for treatment of other conditions and is still metabolised by the body very quickly. Our medical advice is that, if you have had two injections, you should rely on your blood test results as an indicator of what is happening in your body and wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL in blood tests and then can restart taking vitamin/folic acid supplements. Also, in the first week it is important to avoid pain killers which fall into the NSAID group such as ibuprofen. Therefore, provided that your hCG levels have fallen to non-pregnant levels and your doctors have not said otherwise for any specific circumstances in your case, you could start to take your vitamins and use ibruprofen (according to instructions on the packet) if needed.

We have more information about this on our website here and you can ask your medical team about why they are advising to double the waiting time before trying to conceive following 2 doses.

https://ectopic.org.uk/physical-recover ... eive-again

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to and to heal. We will be here for you for as long as you need.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

skyflyer17

Post by skyflyer17 »

Hi Karen

Thank you so much for such an informative reply, I feel a lot less apprehensive about the thought of a second dose now! I don’t know if my panicked googling found 6 months of if they told me 6 months. That’s a relief. For now they are bringing me in on Wednesday (72hrs after the day 7 bloods) and seeing what they do before jumping the gun, phew!

Really appreciate your kind words, I didn’t expect to find myself in this club, but alas I am, but the support and info here has been brilliant. I am truly grateful.

Thanks again,
Sx

Acampb70

Post by Acampb70 »

Hi I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this too. My hcg levels also increased on day 4 so I was brought in for additional bloods to see if there was a slight delay and fortunately there was, the last two blood results I’ve had have showed drop in hcg levels so I’m hoping that this gives you some hope. Wishing you all the best!

skyflyer17

Post by skyflyer17 »

I unfortunately went into hospital on day 10 for the blood test with every classic rupture symptom (I nearly called an ambulance to the house in the morning as I almost collapsed) and ended up in emergency surgery on Wednesday 😔. I still can’t quite believe it, they only discharged me home yesterday as I lost a lot of blood. I really hope it works out for you as I wouldn’t wish my experience on anyone, I was so frightened!