By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

I'm still feeling pregnant

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rosieum

I'm still feeling pregnant

Post by Rosieum »

Hi everyone

I'm 11 days post ruptured ectopic pregnancy where I was rushed to theatre and they removed the left fallopian tube. I also had a miscarriage last November. It's been an awful time.

I didn't know I was pregnant this time. No symptoms. Over the last few days I've been getting symptoms such as sore boobs, vivid dreams and morning sickness. Pregnancy tests are still showing positive. I know my hormones would be everywhere but I feel this is odd? Or is it?

I'm so emotional today. I can't get out of bed. I really hope this is normal at this stage. I'm also having flashbacks of that afternoon being rushed from ED to theatre. The pain I felt when they moved me onto the operation table.

Thank you for talking the time to reply back to me.

EPT Host 20

Re: I'm still feeling pregnant

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Rosie,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal and understandable.

It is normal to feel discomfort following surgery. We advise that you should take it very easy for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time so please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others. One day you may be okay and the next you may be in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body signals. Pain and feeling tired are your body signals to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy diet drinking lots of water and resting.

Following ectopic pregnancy, it can take a few weeks for hCG levels to fall to non pregnant levels, which may explain your positive pregnancy tests. If you are concerned about the symptoms you are experiencing and if the symptoms are becoming more pronounced, I would speak to your GP or medical team who can perhaps arrange some serial hCG blood tests to check to see exactly what your levels are doing.

It can take as long as 3 months to start to rebuild from the traumatic shock of ectopic pregnancy and emergency surgery so please be kind to yourself right now and allow time for grieving.

After a frightening ordeal like ectopic pregnancy, some women find that they suffer from Post Traumatic Stress and symptoms can include anxiety and not being able to focus on everyday things like work. Whilst your feelings are completely normal at this stage of recovery, if the bad days start to outweigh the good, we at the Trust believe that talking through what happened and your emotions as and when you can helps the healing process. We operate a helpline service and there's no pressure whatsoever but if you would ever like the opportunity to speak over the phone to someone who has been through a similar experience, do feel free to call, details are below. We can take things at your pace entirely and you are free to ask any questions that are on your mind. You can talk about the ordeal you have been through and express your feelings to vent and let off some steam. We can exchange emails too, if you prefer that route. We'll simply be here for you, however you wish and for as long as you wish.

In addition, you can ask to see a GP at your practice and ask them to explore ways in which you can get help and this can include referrals for "talking therapies" or counselling. We have information on our website about finding counselling services.

The charity Mind may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

Many women also experience feelings of isolation after an ectopic pregnancy - I did, too. It is a frightening experience. Like you, I reached out to the Trust for support and we will be here for you to lean on for as long as you need.

Sending much love and gentle hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team