By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Aftermath of ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Acampb70

Aftermath of ectopic

Post by Acampb70 »

Did anyone experience pain after their hcg levels were negative? I was treated with methotrexate and this week my levels are now negative which is a relief. I was admitted to hospital last week with infections and also found cyst on right side which will be followed up in a few weeks and small amount of free fluid. I now have really bad back pain and my bladder seems to be irritated I’ve been checked out by gp and believe it’s just the aftermath of the ectopic pregnancy, the unfortunate thing is they won’t give me pain relief as I took a reaction to co codamol and in the past nurofen aswell. Did anyone else experience pain after the pregnancy was gone and how long for? I just want to feel like myself again

EPT Host 22

Re: Aftermath of ectopic

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Acampb70,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. It is common to feel pain for a few months following surgery and they do tend to lessen as time goes on.

There are a number of reasons why you may be aware of the aches in your abdominal area. It could be that your normal cycle is trying to resume and the pain you are experiencing may be due to your body preparing to ovulate, or your period might be about to arrive. It could be that your awareness of your menstrual cycle and your ovulation have been heightened. Many women report that they are aware of ovulation pain after an ectopic when they never experienced it before. It might simply be down to heightened perception and awareness because of the experience you have been through.

There is no clinical evidence that adhesions (scar tissue) directly cause pain. However, some people do link discomfort to scar tissue even though this is anecdotal and not scientific. In addition, there is no evidence that shows that surgery to divide adhesions is helpful.

To assist, you could keep a pain diary too - when you experience the pain and where, its intensity and anything that helps like rest or pain relief, and noting when your period starts. The diary might help communicate the symptoms as well. As pain is subjective and I am not medically trained, I would always advise speaking to a medical professional if you are concerned about your pain or if it worsens.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team