By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic pain after 2 months of MTX treatment

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Shreya9089

Ectopic pain after 2 months of MTX treatment

Post by Shreya9089 »

Glad to came across this forum
I had ectopic pregnancy 2 months back on right side. Since the size was about 2cm and HCG was around 260, doc opted for MTX treatment rather than surgery.
Had the first period which was normal cycle. However I am feeling bothersome pain on the same side from last 20 days and the recent scan shows that the mass size has been increased.
I went to the gynec and she says either remove the tube via surgery or wait for next dewy month for the mass to regres on its own. The pain is mainly due to an infection around the mass for which I have been given antibiotics.
I'm confused whether i should wait or go ahead with surgery.
Anyone else have faced similar problem?

Shreya9089

Re: Ectopic pain after 2 months of MTX treatment

Post by Shreya9089 »

I don't want to gor for tube removal as I'm still waiting for first baby

EPT Host 22

Re: Ectopic pain after 2 months of MTX treatment

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Sheyra,

I'm so sorry to hear you are doing through this difficult situation. As I'm not medically qualified, I can not comment on your specific situation. I would encourage you to keep monitoring your symptoms and asking these questions from your doctor.

In regards to your future fertility, if the tube is removed, when a person has only one fallopian tube they are still able to get pregnant from an egg in the opposite ovary as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time. This means that rather than your fertility being halved it has been affected by around 30% or, looking at it another way, it means we have around a 70% opportunity of conception with each menstrual (period) cycle.

We naturally assume that we will ovulate from alternative ovaries each month (left ovary, right ovary, left, right etc.) This is not true and varies from woman to woman. Some women will ovulate from the same side each month with occasional ovulation from the other side, while others will ovulate randomly from side to side.

Both ovaries compete each month to produce an egg and usually, the one that is ‘pulling ahead in the race’ continues while the other one gives up (but not always – sometimes women will ovulate from both ovaries in one cycle or twice from one ovary but these are rare events that explain how we get non-identical twins naturally). It depends on which ovary contains the egg that is at the right stage of development at the point in time where the woman is due to ovulate and is nothing to do with a set pattern. The side we ovulate from does not strictly matter as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side.

I know this can be a confusing time. Please know that we are here for you as long as you need. I encourage you to write your questions down and take them to your doctor at your next appointment.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team