By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Week post surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
GemEl

Week post surgery

Post by GemEl »

I’m struggling post surgery.

Last week I did not feel right, I had already come to terms with another miscarriage. On the Monday I was able to attend a job interview and go to work as normal. By 1 that afternoon I became worse and worse, could not concentrate at work and sitting down was painful.

I walked over to our A&E but had to wait several hours to be seen in a lot of pain. I was sent home at 8pm because they needed a scan and promised the EPU would call tomorrow.

I woke up still in pain in my stomach and pain in my shoulders. My scan was booked for 11. But I was sure this was just a bad period after my miscarriage.

I got my scan and was told it was possibly ectopic, then the surgeon saw me and said I needed to be operated on that day.

No bed was available yet so I was put on watch in front of the nurses office.

Surgery was at 4 that Tuesday and out in recovery by 7pm.

I’m now home, my moods are up and down and I get tearful very easily. I’m still in a lot of pain and exhausted. I’m trying to be there when my 5 year old is around and not let him know how bad I’m feeling.

Thank you to anyone who read this

EPT Host 22

Re: Week post surgery

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi GemE!,

I’m so sorry to hear of your experience and your ectopic pregnancy and loss. You have had a massive physical and emotional upheaval, and recovery from ectopic pregnancy will take time. Everyone's path is unique to them and there is no set timeframe for emotional recovery. There are no "musts" or "shoulds" or deadlines. Grieve as you wish and cry, vent, and release your emotions as you need.

I found that the first few months were the hardest, as I didn’t fully understand why it happened to me. Slowly, the darkest clouds lifted and I began to have some ok days and even some good days again sometimes. Recovery is not always a smooth path, however. With time though, I began to accept what had happened and, although we never forget, it is something that is a part of us that we learn to live with.

Your ectopic pregnancy was so recent and it is still early days in your recovery. For me, I found that writing in a journal did help to process the many elements. I found myself recalling elements of the hospital and recovery, and I found myself thinking about the family and friends who reached out with support. It helped me to get the words out of my head, and eventually share them with my partner and close friends.

Please do allow yourself all the time and space that you need to heal and know that you have a supportive environment here for as long as you need. We are here for you any time. These boards are a safe environment to let off steam among people who have been there and understand. Please do continue to do so as often as you wish.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust

Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

Join us for the first Ectopic Pregnancy Awareness Day on 1 August 2022

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team