By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain on opposite side of womb post ectopic surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LisaKate

Pain on opposite side of womb post ectopic surgery

Post by LisaKate »

Hello,

I was 7 weeks pregnant when I suffered severe pain and fainting and was taken into hospital. The pregnancy had already ruptured and my womb was filled with blood so had emergency surgery. They were unable to do it key hole due to the severity of the situation so I had full open surgery.

It turned out that the ectopic was at the entrance to my right Fallopian tube, so there was minimal damage and they were able to leave my tube in tact which is a blessing.

However, I’m now 4 weeks post op and have horrible pain on my LEFT side, the opposite side to my pregnancy. A week after surgery I was taken back in and an ultrasound and CT scan showed a fluid build up in my womb, which they said may be the cause of some discomfort but that it would be absorbed naturally by my body in time, so I was discharged with pain killers.

2 weeks have passed and the pain in my left is getting worse. I struggle to lie on my side, sit up or twist without getting horrible stabbing in the depths of my pelvis. This can’t be normal fluid retention surely? Anyone else experienced pain on the opposite side to their pregnancy? Or been told they have fluid build up?

I don’t know what my next steps should be but I’m tired of being in so much pain now :(

X x

EPT Host 20

Re: Pain on opposite side of womb post ectopic surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LisaKate,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Abdominal pain following surgery can continue for a while but if it is worsening I would certainly urge you to seek medical advice.
As the pain is on th opposite side to your surgery other things to exclude for abdominal pain are constipation (especially if you are using pain relief still as this can cause constipation and urine infections. As I am not medically trained, I cannot give you specific information so please do seek medical advice for these symptoms.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust

Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
Join us for the first Ectopic Pregnancy Awareness Day on 1 August 2022

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team