By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

methotrexate (1st dose) I’m feeling confused.

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sonia

methotrexate (1st dose) I’m feeling confused.

Post by Sonia »

Hi Everyone
Hope all is ok …
So today I went for my day 7 blood test after the injection (25th July). The doctor wanted to do a scan, after my blood test. I became so worried and was full of anxiety. I wasn’t expecting a scan at all. The doctor said they just want to check because my blood test results were high for day 4. I thought that was expected and by day 7 hopefully they will go down. While the doctor was doing the scan, he was talking to the other doctor. I was trying to listen carefully.

I heard it’s still there and it’s very clear to see than last time but there is no heartbeat

I don’t understand what this means? Does it mean the injection did not work so the pregnancy (baby) got bigger. The doctor just told me to wait for the blood test.

Also, he said it’s good you came early otherwise you may have needed surgery…

I am anxiously waiting for my blood test results. I really hope the level has gone down.

I still feel pregnant… is this normal ?

I really don’t want surgery again… I lost my left tube last time …

I had my scan at exactly 5 weeks! I feel scans should be done at 5 weeks especially if you have already experienced an ectopic pregnancy or are at high risk …

Like the doctor said it’s good I came in time … so 6 weeks would have meant surgery ?

I just feel so worried while I’m waiting for my blood test results … x

Thank you so much for this forum.

X Sonia

Sonia

Re: methotrexate (1st dose) I’m feeling confused.

Post by Sonia »

I just received a call from the doctor stating my hcg level have gone up 3700. On Friday it was 3400.
She said come in tomorrow to discuss the options … I said I want a second dose she told me it’s unlikely it will work … I think they want me to have surgery.
I only have one tube left … I feel that will be taken away …
I am broken … I don’t know what to do …

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Sonia,

I am so sorry you are going through this worrying time. It is very good that you are being looked after and that you have plans to be seen tomorrow. I'm sorry, but I'm not medically qualified to comment on your specific situation.

Ectopic pregnancies can cause us many questions and concerns. I encourage you to take a listing of your questions to your appointment. Having the questions written down can help us to remember them and to ensure we ask them.

You know your body the best, it's important to be mindful of your symptoms until you reach non-pregnant levels, under 5mIU/mL, as there is unfortunately still a chance of rupture. The symptoms of a deteriorating ectopic pregnancy, which include worsening or progressively increasing pain; vaginal bleeding; shortness of breath; feeling faint; and pain in the tip of the shoulder among others, may become noticeable. If you suffer any of these symptoms you will need to be reassessed. Your hospital would give you a number to contact for health advice if you feel that anything is changing, or you will have been told to report to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E). If you have not been told what to do and need to speak to someone ring the hospital department which is treating you or the NHS 111 Service by dialling 111.

We are here for you for as long as you need us.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust

Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
Join us for the first Ectopic Pregnancy Awareness Day on 1 August 2022

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thank you Michele.
I’m at the hospital and will be having surgery today. Hopefully the doctor will try to save my right tube and ovary … the baby is in the middle and is in the tube and close to the ovary.
The injection didn’t work on me. I wish it had done… X
Thank you for your support.

Daffodil_aster

Post by Daffodil_aster »

Hi Sonia, I just wanted to say I’m so sorry for your loss and I hope they saved your tube. I’m currently being treated for methotrexate after an ectopic in Jan 22 and can completely understand your emotional pain and helplessness. Sending lots of love xxx

Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thank you Daffodil. I am sorry for your loss and hope the methotrexate works well for you hun. It’s not a easy medication to take.
I got home this evening, my hcg level is 1123, going back on Saturday for another blood test and another one in a weeks time.
My surgery went well, I was in safe hands and the doctors saved my tube. I was told there is some tissue left but it should dissolve in the next two months. There will be some scarring on the tube.
When I woke up after surgery I was surprised I didn’t have a catheter! ( last time I had to keep a catheter on for 2 weeks)
I was taken care of in the recovery room, the nurses were fantastic provided me with hot blankets as I began to shiver. I was clean and couldn’t see my stitches as the dressing was on (last time I had blood stains on my body and could see the stitches, there was red swelling around my stomach)
The doctor wanted me to go home on the same day after my surgery but the nurse stopped me and said don’t leave now it’s too late and you need time, she even told me the doctor had said this is not a hotel room… until this day I can’t forget that …
I was comparing everything to my first experience and the two Hospitals. Honestly, it makes a huge difference when you feel you are taken care of and the doctors genuinely care. Dr Alex Novak was great and the whole team at st Mary’s hospital.
I really am thankful that I was able to have a good experience at the hospital.
It has been very emotional … but for some reason I woke up feeling I can’t lose hope … we can’t lose hope… if we survive a ectopic pregnancy we are lucky to be alive.
A thought came in to my mind…the beautiful seed has gone and will be planted in heaven… it bought be some comfort…
After having two ectopic pregnancy’s and two early miscarriages I feel like I need to wait as I need time to heal and become strong again … (most likely will try IVF as right now I’m nervous about trying naturally)
I truly wish strength for all… but remember do take your time and be kind to yourself. X