By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods worse following ectopic?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
lm0206

Periods worse following ectopic?

Post by lm0206 »

Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone else has experienced their periods/ menstrual cycle worsening following an ectopic?

I had a ruptured ectopic and emergency surgery in September 2022, my right fallopian tube was removed. I’ve since had infertility screening and all coming back normal, no signs of endometriosis etc but I have noticed that my periods have changed quite a lot since the ectopic.

I’ve always had quite long periods 7 days + but now they can last up to 2 weeks with a week of spotting followed by a few days of very heavy bleeding, often bleeding through and having to change super+ tampons more regularly.

I don’t have any pain really, only minimal cramping but there have been more clots in the heavier bleeding.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have been told that peoples periods can change after pregnancy because of the shift in hormones so I wonder if it’s something similar to that.
But I am 11 months down the line and there doesn’t seem to be any settling down.

As I have been to through the infertility screening in March and had all the scans / bloods etc I don’t think going back to the GP will help much more so just wanting to know if this is a common thing or not?

EPT Host 20

Re: Periods worse following ectopic?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Im0206,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Periods can take a while to settle after ectopic pregnancy. If you are having regular periods, I would have thought they should be starting to get more normal for you about now. I know you mention you had scans in March but if things are not settling, I would still advise discussing with your GP.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Laura28

Post by Laura28 »

Hi

I know this post was a while ago and hope you’re doing well!
I just wondered what fertility scans/test you had after ectopic and if you recommend them?

Thanks

lm0206

Post by lm0206 »

Hi Laura28,
My hospital put me forward for all fertility testing for me and my husband which took place 6 months after my ruptured ectopic. Feels like a lifetime ago now since the trauma of it all! If you are able to access these services I would definitely recommend it as it gives a bit of reassurance when things come back as normal (even if that is somewhat frustrating as there is no specific reason why the ectopic happened in the first place!)

I think I am very lucky that my hospital were able to do this for me. The conversation came up in my follow up consultation after my emergency surgery (surgery happened in September but consultation took place in January after being previously cancelled… maybe they just felt sorry for me having to wait so long!) Thankfully the consultant was very empathetic and agreed to put me forward for fertility testing.

I don’t remember all the specific test but they all took place on one day. I had scans for my egg reserve and a few blood tests to check hormone levels etc… I didn’t have any specific tests on my remaining tube but I do know things like these exist.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey

Laura28

Post by Laura28 »

Thanks so much for getting back to me
Good luck on your journey as well xx