By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Links between fertility struggles and ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sallyew13

Links between fertility struggles and ectopic

Post by Sallyew13 »

Hi all
Hope you are okay
We were trying to conceive for around 16-17 months and thought something could be up
We then had an ectopic pregnancy diagnosed just the other day
What’s on my mind is - could these 16-17 months of fertility struggles be linked to whatever caused the ectopic (tubal issues), and also could the ectopic now be a cause of even more fertility issues (damaged tubes and scar tissue)
Are fertility issues plus a previous ectopic a reason to go down the IVF route instead? Does previous ectopic qualify you for IVF?

Thinking of everyone going through these challenging experiences

Sally xxx

Sunflower89

Re: Links between fertility struggles and ectopic

Post by Sunflower89 »

I was in a similar situation - long time to conceive, and beginning fertility investigations at the time I fell pregnant. I ended up having tube removed after it ruptured, but nothing so far indicates that the length of time to conceive was linked to the ectopic.

The EPT's 'trying to conceive again' section is quite good - although there is an elevated risk that the next pregnancy will be ectopic (10%), it also says '65% of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of an ectopic pregnancy. Some studies suggest this figure rises to around 85% over two years.'

As your ectopic has only recently been diagnosed, am I right in believing you may still be receiving treatment? If so, they may not have yet talked about trying to conceive again with you, but please share your concerns with them and they should hopefully be able to offer you help and guidance. My understanding is that IVF is only generally recommended after an ectopic if they find evidence both tubes are damaged, but they should discuss next steps with you. I have a consultant follow-up in October, shortly before I should get the green light to try and conceive again (I had methotrexate before the rupture), so plan to ask at what point I should seek help if I still haven't conceived.

Sorry for your loss, and hope this may be helpful xx

Sallyew13

Post by Sallyew13 »

Thanks so much Sunflower 🌻 that is helpful.

Yes I am currently receiving “expectant management”, the HCG levels had come down to 111 last time they tested me, so they think it will be shrinking on its own. I’m a bit worried about HCG increasing again but I’ll see at the next blood test.

Good luck with your consultant appointment and trying to conceive again.

I have a consultant appointment on Friday and the main thing I am going to request is an HSG scan of the fallopian tubes to try and understand what’s going on with them!

Likewise sorry for your loss and experience, all we can do it keep on going xx

Shell_624

Post by Shell_624 »

Hi

After my first ectopic in 2019 my right tube was removed and we got referred straight to ivf. Definitely push for the hsg test, if the list is long we paid £400 with Bill Smith on Harley Street, he was lovely and it didn't hurt at all.

If your tubes do come back as blocked or surrounded by fluid, they do suggest having them removed before ivf as the fluid can prevent implantation. Many women have been successful this way, its quite common.

We've been ttc for 7 years and had 5 ivf transfers, so far can't find any issues apart from my immune system is a little over reactive which I can take medication for.
A consultant once said if I persist it will happen for us, I know its draining but keep going don't let it stop you from trying ♥️ good luck with your appointment x