By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

2nd ectopic this year

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
AngeA23

2nd ectopic this year

Post by AngeA23 »

Hi,

This is rather long story and I have mulled other whether to post or not but this site has been so useful for me this year.
I had my first ectopic in April this year. It was a huge shock (I had no idea I was pregnant), I’d had IVF 7 years ago (and am very fortunate to now have a 6 year old son). I’ve never conceived naturally and didn’t ever think I would. I had been going to the Drs since early March with pains, but never suspected pregnancy as had my period as usual. I was being treated for suspected cyst, and awaiting an ultrasound. Fast forward 4 weeks, the pain started to get worse, I went to A&E and was finally diagnosed with an ectopic fimbriae end of my right tube. I was 10.5 weeks by this time. I had emergency surgery and my right tube removed. It was a long recovery, I felt so sad and angry about it all. I had further tests and advised although there was a risk of another ectopic but a chance I could conceive naturally. Obviously I took the chance.
I managed to get pregnant and went back to the EPU for tests early due to my previous EP. My HCG level was doubling every 48hours so they suspected a uterine pregnancy. Sadly 5 days later, I had a miscarriage. Fast forward to December I start to have pain on my left side, prior to
my period arriving. Then I start bleeding, which I know recognise as being lighter, I take a test which comes back positive. I rang the EPU, which agreed to see me, they monitored my HCG levels, which were rising abnormally. The pain in my left side starts to intensify. I had a scan which showed nothing as expected as I was only 5.5 weeks. Due to my pain, I was offered laparoscopy to investigate and treat if anything was found. On 21st December I had the laparoscopy undertaken. They did advise they could see an EP which had started to come out of my left tube, which they felt was the pain I was experiencing. They moved the EP but left my tube. I am now 6 days post surgery, I am starting to have pain again on my left side and the watery red bleeding has started again. I am going back to EPU tomorrow to check my HCG. Has anyone ever been in this scenario where after laparoscopy something may still remain? It’s hard to tell if the pain is due to recovery or if it is something more and I am sending myself crazy worrying about it all.

AngeA23

Re: 2nd ectopic this year

Post by AngeA23 »

AngeA23 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:56 pm
Hi,

This is rather long story and I have mulled other whether to post or not but this site has been so useful for me this year.
I had my first ectopic in April this year. It was a huge shock (I had no idea I was pregnant), I’d had IVF 7 years ago (and am very fortunate to now have a 6 year old son). I’ve never conceived naturally and didn’t ever think I would. I had been going to the Drs since early March with pains, but never suspected pregnancy as had my period as usual. I was being treated for suspected cyst, and awaiting an ultrasound. Fast forward 4 weeks, the pain started to get worse, I went to A&E and was finally diagnosed with an ectopic fimbriae end of my right tube. I was 10.5 weeks by this time. I had emergency surgery and my right tube removed. It was a long recovery, I felt so sad and angry about it all. I had further tests and advised although there was a risk of another ectopic but a chance I could conceive naturally. Obviously I took the chance.
I managed to get pregnant and went back to the EPU for tests early due to my previous EP. My HCG level was doubling every 48hours so they suspected a uterine pregnancy. Sadly 5 days later, I had a miscarriage. Fast forward to December I start to have pain on my left side, prior to
my period arriving. Then I start bleeding, which I know recognise as being lighter, I take a test which comes back positive. I rang the EPU, which agreed to see me, they monitored my HCG levels, which were rising abnormally. The pain in my left side starts to intensify. I had a scan which showed nothing as expected as I was only 5.5 weeks. Due to my pain, I was offered laparoscopy to investigate and treat if anything was found. On 21st December I had the laparoscopy undertaken. They did advise they could see an EP which had started to come out of my left tube, which they felt was the pain I was experiencing. They moved the EP but left my tube. I am now 6 days post surgery, I am starting to have pain again on my left side and the watery red bleeding has started again. I am going back to EPU tomorrow to check my HCG. Has anyone ever been in this scenario where after laparoscopy something may still remain? It’s hard to tell if the pain is due to recovery or if it is something more and I am sending myself crazy worrying about it all.

CamLe

Post by CamLe »

Hey there,

So sorry to hear about your two EPs... I also had two this year, though the first treated w MTX and second w laparoscopy. They removed my tube so I was less worried about something being left, but had lots of pain on and off and started bleeding à week post aurgery which I believe was the urterus living coming out. It freaked me out at the time but ended up being normal.

I hope that's cpmforting, though I'd definitely encourage you to get checked out if you're concerned. Better safe than sorry.

Sending you a big hug. Here's to hoping for a better year to come for everyone on this forum. Xo Cam

AngeA23

Post by AngeA23 »

Hi Cam,

Thanks for replying, sorry you have been through this also this year.

I have been back to the EPU and they have confirmed there is pregnancy tissue left, they didn’t take it all. My HCG level is not coming down, so back tomorrow but looks like I’ll need mtx. I am dreading it with all the possible side effects, but I’d rather that than more surgery. I am still recovering from that last week.

I hope 2024 is better for us all. I am done after I have recovered from this, I cannot go through this again. Emotionally it has taken its toll.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

Hey,

Hope the mxt injection goes OK. The symptoms you have might not be too bad. I had no appetite, severely thirsty and I just felt outside of my body, fatigue, I just lied on my sofa for 3 to 4 days...so those symptoms weren't as bad as what it can be.

I definitely understand the feeling of not risking another ectopic pregnancy, people don't get how scary and traumatising it is and also it's a lot to go through to be told this is the result. Definitely just focus on healing and see how you feel later on.

AngeA23 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 pm
Hi Cam,

Thanks for replying, sorry you have been through this also this year.

I have been back to the EPU and they have confirmed there is pregnancy tissue left, they didn’t take it all. My HCG level is not coming down, so back tomorrow but looks like I’ll need mtx. I am dreading it with all the possible side effects, but I’d rather that than more surgery. I am still recovering from that last week.

I hope 2024 is better for us all. I am done after I have recovered from this, I cannot go through this again. Emotionally it has taken its toll.

AngeA23

Post by AngeA23 »

Thank you, I hope the symptoms aren’t so bad. I honestly just want this all to be over so I can start to feel myself again.

My age is also a factor now sadly and my only chance would be IVF, so my options are not great.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

I get that. I'm 41. I was 39 turning 40 my ectopic pregnancy it was through ivf, because I'm single...then I tried again getting pregnant again at 40, that was a chemical. I'm not going try again until the spring / summer so I definitely understand age being this huge factor.

Though the fact I got pregnant twice this year, you got pregnant it shows your body is capable of a pregnancy. If you can get IVF free that'd would be great, if not there are other options.

I definitely understand wanting it to be over. I bled for 3 whole months, the whole of winter I was miscarrying the ectopic pregnancy, while my hcg decreased. When I finally had my period I was so relieved. So you will get there. Just need to take care and be kind to yourself.
AngeA23 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:58 pm
Thank you, I hope the symptoms aren’t so bad. I honestly just want this all to be over so I can start to feel myself again.

My age is also a factor now sadly and my only chance would be IVF, so my options are not great.