By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Sex after laparoscopy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Kjkw95

Sex after laparoscopy

Post by Kjkw95 »

I had a laparoscopy on 22/12 to remove my right tube following an ectopic pregnancy.

My doctor told me I could try for a baby again in 4-6 weeks. My question is, how long do I need to wait till I can be intimate with my partner again?

EPT Host 20

Re: Sex after laparoscopy

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kjkw,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
As a gentle reminder if you are trying to conceive again, we and many medical professionals advise waiting for two menstrual cycles. This "wait" is to allow your cycles to resume and have a last menstrual period date from which to date a new pregnancy - important information for checking for ectopic pregnancy in the future. It also allows time for your emotions to surface and be worked through after your ordeal.
There are many other ways to be intimate with your partner however or use contraception, and you can resume this as you feel comfortable. Take things at your own pace.
Sending much love,
Karen x
The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Seewilds

Post by Seewilds »

My doctor told me the same thing, wait a month and you can start having sex again and trying again.
For me personally I wasn’t ready to have sex with my husband till 2 months into healing. I was scared to because it was still so tender to the touch and I didn’t know how he would feel seeing my scars from the surgery.
Sex in my opinion (from girl to girl lol) feels so much better without a tube for some reason lol. But after it does leave a presence of discomfort and it will hurt after, even days later even if you guys went slow. I guess it’s the pressure of it I’m not really sure. But sex will feel greater but it will also be very uncomfortable the first few times after surgery. You will always be aware of the missing tube from here on out. A year later I still feel my scar tissue after sex, during ovulation, during my period, when I do any ab exercises and so on.
But I want you to understand that this is a physical and mental healing journey and one can take more time than the other. Physically for you not to feel anymore pain and discomfort it will be 4 months in. You can have sex a month after surgery even though you feel discomfort where your tube once was. Your period will also start going back to normal the more you have it. Everytime you ovulate you will feel it unfortunately and it does hurt when it’s the ovary that doesn’t have the tube.
Wait 6 weeks and see how you feel after that. With all the come down of the hormones I know it’s hard to also keep yourself in check when you’re feeling sexual. But for the long run it will help you to hold off right now. It will give you more time to heal and it’ll be less of a risk for infections.
Being intimate with your partner is more about when you’re ready to after you feel healed enough. I know someone who just wasn’t ready emotionally to be that way with her husband because she might get pregnant again and 6 months after her surgery she felt like she was ready to risk getting pregnant again even if she felt it might happen again. These things take time.
When you are ready to then you will know.

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

The consultant told me I could have sex after a week - I am nearly two weeks post surgery and find it really hard to believe I could have sex one week after! I am on antibiotics for an infection so many recovery is usually quicker but one week!?

I have no idea when I will be ready and then the decision to whether to try again.