By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Day 2 post op, very confused

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
rosieseptember1818

Day 2 post op, very confused

Post by rosieseptember1818 »

Hi,
I had surgery 2 days ago to remove my 7 week ectopic pregnancy. My GP sent me into A&E on the Monday as I was experiencing pain in my abdominals and thigh. I was seen by gynae but sent home to wait for a scan. The scan confirmed a large ectopic so I had urgent surgery on Thursday. This was my second (suspected) ectopic but the first time resolved itself naturally. Now, I feel quite confused by everything.

In many ways I feel like I was taken seriously and seen quickly. On the other hand I feel like I wasted everyone’s time and space in hospital. One consultant (following the scan and examination) told me my life was in danger and two doctors recommended surgery as they felt rupture was imminent. But when I met the surgeon as I was prepped to go to down to theatre he said that I had “options” since there was no heartbeat, my pain had subsided and my hcg level was dropping. But the scan showed my tube was stretched and so I said to continue with surgery.

But now there’s doubt in my mind that I did the wrong thing and shouldn’t have taken up the space in hospital since other people there were really in life or death situations and I wasn’t. Now I’m recovering from surgery but maybe I should have just let things resolve and not wasted everyone’s time as I could manage the pain and maybe it wouldn’t have ruptured.
And now I feel so lazy because I’m in bed recovering instead of getting on with things.

Thanks for reading… Rosie x

LTQKVS

Re: Day 2 post op, very confused

Post by LTQKVS »

I think it still sounds like a life or death situation and you did the right thing.

My levels were 220 and then two weeks later 40 when I ruptured. I believe the growth stopped at 220 when I thought I was having a miscarriage so it’s possible you would have needed surgery even with your levels dropping.

Take care xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Day 2 post op, very confused

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Rosie,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Sadly ectopic pregnancies can lead to life of death situations, so you were absolutely justified in Having that bed, that theatre space and the care and treatment you received. Although your ectopic pregnancy had not ruptured at the time of surgery, no one is able to predict the future. Women and people can become very unwell, very quickly if a tube ruptures and it sounds as though your medical team were looking after you well. There is no need to feel guilty about being in hospital, you have had an ectopic pregnancy and received the care you needed.
It is now time for self care, he be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team