By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

How to choose then choices change!

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Fedup88

How to choose then choices change!

Post by Fedup88 »

I first found out about my HCG after I was spotting for 2 weeks (started 19th January). Did a pregnancy test on the 27th January and it said positive. I rang 111 who booked me in with the early pregnancy unit.

So!

Day 1 (29th January) HCG 175 (nothing on scan)

Day 3 (31st January) HCG 294 and told 67% chance ectopic (nothing on scan)

Day 5 (2nd Feb) HCG 494 (nothing on scan x2) and told was almost certain ectopic by consultant 1. Told my options of conservative, tube removal or injection

Day 8 (5th Feb) HCG 512 (nothing on scan but debating if in right as they thought they may have seen something) and told static and told conservative or tube removal by consultant 2 and to think.....again!

Day 10 (7th Feb) HCG 634 (nothing on scan confirmed and a second person said maybe right and think it's tbere) and told to come back and decide if I want conservative, surgery for tube removal or Injection by consultant 3

I am alone with my partner overseas. I was due to fly home to him 24th February but struggling to know if I can get home. Due to the whole situation I just want to be home so I can grieve and we decided surgery was best as we were told I could fly if it was removed.... But now! It was an agony Ising decision of trying to weigh up everyone's opinions and we decided it was best for me to get home so surgery.

Day 12 (9th Feb) HCG 613. Consultant 4 said conservative or injection and that I'd need to wait until at least next week to consider surgical and that I could fly U til hcg was down to 0 but if I have bloods Sunday and then scan Monday and then bloods Wednesday again and it's still static or rising I can consider surgery....

I am struggling big time trying to make a decision that I never wanted to make, all alone. And the drs all have different views on the risks and impacts and keep asking me my view. All I say is I want the best possible chance to have a baby on the future and I want to not be alone as this has been so hard!

Does anyone know....if an ectopic fails alone without treatment how long it takes for HCG to return to 0..... I just want to go home and be with my partner. I have cried non stop for weeks now and I just feel like I can't take any more of the drs views! I don't want to have surgery but I also feel this is the only way to guarantee that this nightmare will end and we can move forward!

Anyone else been in similar situations? This blood taking every two days is driving me insane!! And I can't keep taking endless time off work :(

EPT Host 20

Re: How to choose then choices change!

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Fedup,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss. I also want to send a huge hug, I can only imagine how hard this must be for you being away from family and friends. You are not alone here, we will be with for as long as you need us.
I can only comment on treatment options for the UK.
Generally if hCG levels are declining naturally and you are well with no internal bleeding, you can adopt the conservative or watchful waiting method.
If hCG levels are climbing slowly, (usually below 5000), and you are well and have no internal bleeding, and you can have methotrexate, this is an option usually advised. Methotrexate is used as it is less invasive than surgery. However, I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology.
According to a study, for women with ectopic pregnancies in a Fallopian tube who are treated with methotrexate (with hCG of 1000–5000 IU/L before treatment), it takes an average of 28 days for the ectopic pregnancy to resolve (when medical treatment is successful). This is an average so some will be a little longer. It is also difficult to say how long hCG levels will take to fall with conservative management and we would not recommend flying with either treatment until you have been discharged from medical care as sadly there is a risk of rupture even with low or declining hCG levels.
Surgery is usually offered with high hCG levels, if you are unwell, there is internal bleeding or concern about the degree of pain or bleeding. Recovery from surgery can take up to six weeks but you would be able to fly sooner, once your medical team say you are fit to fly.

Importantly, studies suggest the chances of pregnancy are about same irrespective of type of treatment - Expectant management or medical management or surgery.

I would suggest having a good talk with your medical team, including on how this is affecting you emotionally, especially as the treatment options impact on how quickly you can get home. You are allowed to discuss options you would like to explore too.

We have more information on treatment for ectopic pregnancy on our website which you may find helpful
https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ectopic-pregnancy

Know that we are here for you, we also have an email service too if you would like more support. Details below.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team