By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

PUL..

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LaceAri

PUL..

Post by LaceAri »

Hiya,

On Tuesday, after 2 years and 8 months of trying we got our big fat positive 😭♥️

By LMP, I would be 7 weeks pregnant yesterday. [Brand Name not allowed] digital said 2-3 weeks which indicates I’m earlier than going by dates. Normal tests are giving a bright line before the urine has even passed the window. Super strong positives.

I (obviously) started to panic anyway given our journey plus previous loss and booked a reassurance scan for yesterday. We went at 1pm and basically the outcome was a “pregnancy of unknown location”. There was just a small empty fluid filled sac.

Obviously this indicates
Too early.
Miscarriage.
Ectopic.

My cycles aren’t regular so I very well could have ovulated late which wouldn’t necessarily be unusual for me.

I’m having an achey feeling in my shoulder so now I’m convinced it’s an ectopic pregnancy although this is something that I do feel when not pregnant (mainly due to my dog forcing me to sleep in ridiculous positions 😂).

No other symptoms apart from really light cramping/period pain, slight headache, sore boobs.

I know the odds are likely stacked against us and the outcomes aren’t usually great. We were absolutely over the moon and now I just feel like I’ve made us worry, I’m scared about the fact we’ve tried for so long to finally get the result we wanted for it to all be going wrong already. But also concerned that obviously if it is somewhere else, that’s dangerous..

She couldn’t see anything in my tubes etc and asked me to do a test today and call back IF positive. I did one and it was stronger than 2 days ago. Not sure if that counts for anything.

I work in the same hospital in maternity so
managed to get them to hurry and I’ve got an appointment in a few hours.

I guess I just needed to get this out somewhere and get some opinions although I know nobody can give me any answers.

Curious to know what your symptoms were personally too if you don’t mind sharing.

Thanks in advance ladies xxx

PowerThroughAgain

Re: PUL..

Post by PowerThroughAgain »

Hi hope your ok.

Don't have much to advise or comment but hope the hospital scan went well?

Xx

EPT Host 20

Re: PUL..

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LaceAri,
Whispered congratulations on your pregnancy,
After an ectopic pregnancy, finding we are pregnant again can be a mix of emotions and I can completely understand your feeling nervous. It is perfectly normal to feel scared after the ordeal you have endured. I also felt twinges and aches after my ectopic pregnancy, particularly when I next felt pregnant. My mind started racing and I was only really able to relax to some degree after my early scan. It is a nerve-wracking time and you have friends here who understand how you are feeling.

I know this is just my story but they couldn't see anything on my first scan either, a week later and there was a little heart beat in the right place. It is entirely possible that you have ovulated later than you thought and your dates are off a little.

It is important to understand that Pregnancy of unknown location - (PUL) is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty. In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan. Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy. Whilst I do not wish to alarm you, for every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; but not all of these will need treatment. If treatment is required, (methotraxate injection or surgery) this will depend on the results of blood tests and scans and I would discuss this further with you Dr.

Whilst I do not wish to alarm you, I sadly have to remind you that if you experience any unusual bleeding, abdominal pain, shoulder tip pain, bladder or bowel problems or feel dizzy and unwell to seek urgent medical advice.

Sending much love and positive thoughts for your next scan,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team