By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

My support system is a little lacking :/

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Beej11

My support system is a little lacking :/

Post by Beej11 »

So I had an ectopic in November which was medically managed and am just home from an emergency laparotomy to remove the left tube after another ectopic where medical management didn’t work :(

The surgeon was so lovely, she runs a fertility clinic and we have a meeting booked in for June to discuss potentially doing IVF (due to 2 ectopics, 1 tube and apparently endometriosis).

It’s reassuring that we have that in place once MTX is out of my system and I’m recovered BUT

WHY IS EVERYBODY SO OBSESSED WITH IT BEING ABOUT NOT HAVING A BABY

I just feel like I’m the only person in my vicinity who recognises the loss. And the trauma of what has happened. Lots of ‘at least’ comments and ‘it’ll happen’ comments. I’m probably tired from the horrible hospital experience and emotionally exhausted but I think I’m going to snap.

Do I just avoid talking to people for a while?! This isn’t like me, I usually have a lot of patience but wow… and that’s another thing, I feel like I’ve lost my old self and that’s really hard.

Any tips for getting through this? I realise there’s no perfect thing to say but I’m starting to prefer isolating myself :( and not liking myself for being so irritable

Enfys

Re: My support system is a little lacking :/

Post by Enfys »

I am so sorry to hear all you’ve had to go through.
I can relate to a lot of how you feel. The “at least you can get pregnant” and “try and see the positive” comments have been so hurtful.
I am lucky though that I have a few select people who are really supportive and don’t say stupid things. And I can try and avoid the rest.
There is an episode of Elizabeth Day’s Best friend therapy podcast (season 2 episode 2) which is all about fertility and helped my best friend (who was already pretty great) and my husband (again already pretty great) communicate with me better. It may be something you feel you can share with your nearest and dearest. I think the key thing is to listen and not offer advice or anecdotes!
I have found acupuncture and mindfulness really helpful through our long infertility and IVF cycles.
Being post op as well right now, I think it’s okay to feel rock bottom. I’m trying to envisage the things I am looking forward to enjoying and aiming to do once I feel better.

Beej11

Post by Beej11 »

It’s like there’s this external pressure to be back on my feet because of all the forced positivity. The week isn’t even over! Give me a minute :’)

Thank you for the assurance and tips - I’ll get my moneys worth from headspace and try to focus on making some small plans to look forward to.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

I’m so sorry it is not fair at all. Give yourself time and try and ignore the “noise”. Message any time you need to vent or just some understanding xx

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Beej11,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy and loss. Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is both a physical and emotional trauma. The boards here are filled with women and men who are, sadly, bound by these experiences. These are safe spaces for you to share your thoughts, ask questions, and just vent. They are also filled with positive stories which can help heal the pain and move you forward.

Our physical recovery is often quicker than our emotional recovery. This can especially be the case when we encounter others' pregnancies or comments about our own. It is very natural to feel a mix of emotions when we see other people with pregnancies and children. We can feel happy for them, but we also are grieving our own loss and what might have been. Please be kind to yourself.

It may sound simple, but I found journalling a good way to put my thoughts on paper and my husband to do the same so we could process them individually and share them with one another. Each of our experiences is unique, even if it is shared.

We at the Trust believe that talking through what happened and your emotions as and when you can help the healing process. We are more than happy to talk with you by email or telephone and answer any questions you may have or simply listen to your experience. In addition, you can ask to see a GP at your practice and ask them to explore ways in which you can get help, and this can include referrals for "talking therapies" or counselling. The charity, Mind may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Victoria_90

Post by Victoria_90 »

Hiya, I have some understanding of how you feel…. The ‘everything happens for a reason’ mob - I still feel like I want flip out at them! My surgery happened in September and I’ve just been referred to nhs talking therapies by my doctor - not something I’ve done before but hoping it will help… wishing you all the best xx

Beej11

Post by Beej11 »

Thank you! The idea that the universe has a plan or everything happens for a reason isn’t comforting when you’ve been through the works, is it?
I have started talking therapies too. I find it very intense and exhausting but very very helpful to have that space without judgement.

Good luck with everything x

CamLe

Post by CamLe »

Hey there, I can totally relate and I'm sorry you're going through this. I had two ectopic pregnancies in the left tube last year, dealt with medically first and then with surgery. I've heard all sorts of things.. On balance I still found it more helpful talking than not, but I see why you might want to keep to yourself to avoid harmful advice/positivity. Maybe worth focusing on a few important people and getting them to improve? I like Enfys' idea of sharing a podcast to let them educate themselves!!

Glad to hear you're doing therapy, it's helped me a lot too (definitely draining though!). Recently I started working on anger with my therapist. I realised I had been trying to suppress it. It's weird, but it's been helping me to acknowledge it and make space for it. We all have things to be really angry at on this forum.. I hope you find the support you need to get better. It does get better with time. Xo